Species - hybrid?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

MarcR
Larva
Larva

Species - hybrid?

Post by MarcR »

Ok I have had this freshwater shrimp for a while. He came in with my zebras and tigers a while ago . He is much more blue than i have ever seen one so i am wondering if he is a hybrid with a pale blue taiwon or anything

LARGER images here http://www.fish-forums.com/board/viewto ... =7460#7460
Last edited by MarcR on Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
antoinette
Larva
Larva

Post by antoinette »

Did you know there where blue tiger too :wink:
http://www.wirbellose.de/arten.cgi?acti ... &artNo=286
There are even blond :shock: tigers! So i guess yours is a blue one.
MarcR
Larva
Larva

Post by MarcR »

Well no i didnt as i had never seen them offered.

Thanks

I guess trying to breed a blue with a regular is going to diminish its col0ring??
antoinette
Larva
Larva

Post by antoinette »

I'm not 100% sure but i think so yes.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Hi Marc,

Neocaridina (e.g. "Taiwan (pale) blue") and Caridina (e.g. Tiger Shrimp) cannot interbreed. Plus...the so called Taiwan Pale Blue is not even blue under normal lighting. Some shrimp turn blueish when there isn't enough lighting but turn back to their normal, non-blue color in a lighted aquarium.

Yes, once in a while there are blue Tiger Shrimp in batches of normal Tiger Shrimp. The question is if they are naturally blue or just happened to be eating some of the food coloring that some of the so called "blue shrimp" that you see imported sometimes were eating. Those "blue shrimp" never stay blue for long and if they do (I had those too) their offspring are never blue but normal "wild type" color again.

Take care,
Mustafa
MarcR
Larva
Larva

Post by MarcR »

Hey Thanks for the info I have had the shrimp for 2 months approx. I was told on another forum one of the shrimp a local guy picked up has the same blue so hopefully we can get a mating pair
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

Not too expert on this, but kind of looks like yours is a female based on the deep body.
S
Egg
Egg

Post by S »

Is this male or female...
fugly
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by fugly »

S wrote:Is this male or female...
it's a female.
fugly
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by fugly »

Mustafa wrote: Yes, once in a while there are blue Tiger Shrimp in batches of normal Tiger Shrimp. The question is if they are naturally blue or just happened to be eating some of the food coloring that some of the so called "blue shrimp" that you see imported sometimes were eating. Those "blue shrimp" never stay blue for long and if they do (I had those too) their offspring are never blue but normal "wild type" color again.
I have some of these blue specimens as well, and they've maintained their color for as long as I've had them (several months now). If there's a dietary coloring that is occurring, I am certainly not the one giving it to them. They survive on java moss and algae pellets. I have too many tigers in the same tank, so it would be hard for me to separate them out and say whether or not the blue can be bred. That would involve a far greater space than I have.
Pconnieae
Egg
Egg

Post by Pconnieae »

wwwFish-ForumS.com, I also have tiger shrimps. Some are bluish like yours and others are rather blond.

But your shrimp is not what is called blue tiger shrimp. The blue tiger shrimps have orange eyes, not black eyes.
MarcR
Larva
Larva

Post by MarcR »

I have some with pale eyes as well as dark ones.
What are the different names then dependingon the eye color?