What kind of snail?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Solaris
Larva
Larva

Post by Solaris »

Actually i already have clams coming the guy selling them lives in texas, its too late well they might die on the way but i am assuming its hotter in texas so he will include an ice pack, if anything i'll keep them with my axolotls in cooler temperatures. So no biggie i guess
JaVaGiRl
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by JaVaGiRl »

Great, keep us posted. Remember the warmer the temperature, the longer you have to float them b4 you release . :D
Solaris
Larva
Larva

Post by Solaris »

thanks javagirl and everyone else.

I do have a question for you javagirl how do you know, rather what do dead clams look like since they dont move much right?
JaVaGiRl
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by JaVaGiRl »

When a clam dies, the shell will open and the shrimp or other fish will be picking at the mussel inside. Or, if you notice your clams shell being opened, you can tell by picking them out of the water, usually the clam will close immediatly. If it does not close, gently try to close it, if it takes even the tinniest bit of stregth, its dead. Also, the mussel will start smelling very bad almost immediatly. You can leave the dead clam inside the tank, and let everyone eat it, but it will definatly cloud your water. Thats another sign if one is dead, water being cloudy. Glad I can help !
Solaris
Larva
Larva

Post by Solaris »

thanks guys, oh by the way the sponge filter took up too much room and looked stupid in my 5G, so i put in my spare duetto mini submersible filter, its nice and cleans better.
Solaris
Larva
Larva

Post by Solaris »

Okay so i decied to get ruby red ramshorn snails for my shrimp tank and keep the clams with my axies. Cant wait to get them
JaVaGiRl
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by JaVaGiRl »

Yeah, I like sponge filters in 10 gallons and up. I have what you have in my ten gallon and the shrimp and there babies are doing just fine. You can always try and put 1 clam in there and see how it does. But good call on the ramshorns. :)