Question on C. babaultii var. green

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Question on C. babaultii var. green

Post by milalic »

Hi there. Does anyone knows if this shrimp has a brownish stripe down there back? Can they take other colors like maroon or bluish?

Thanks
gr81
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by gr81 »

My babulti vary in color from light green to dark brown-green. Stripe on back is always light. I never saw brown. Aswell I didn't see blueish babaulti. Maybee is that another species.
Kenshin
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Kenshin »

From my experiences, "true" green shrimps are supposed to stay always green (light to dark green). If they change color to brown or something else, then they belong to the Rainbow shrimp category. I have had success breeding those so far :-D and all of their offspring are light green in color (with dark green ovaries for females). If the green shrimps turn to a brownish color from green color, then it probably is stressed out and later on they die (I have that experiences as well :cry: ). I hope this helps.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

In my experience the green shrimp, as kenshin said, are, well...green. However, I do have a species of shrimp here that assumes all kind of colorations including green *and* it has green eggs. When this species actually is green it could possibly be confused with green shrimp, but the green shrimp is more stremalined whereas this species is more "chunky."
cheesenips
Larva
Larva

Post by cheesenips »

Mustafa, is there a sciencific name for these more streamlined green shrimp you mentioned? Mines resembles N. zhangjiajiensis in body shape but instead of being white they are in the shade from light green to very light green. :?

Reason I asked is because, the person who sold them to me claimed that they were C. babaulti and after keeping them for some time I noticed they differ alot from the C. babaulti pictures I see around.