Amano shrimp and Khuli loaches, compatible?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

MacTech
Egg
Egg

Amano shrimp and Khuli loaches, compatible?

Post by MacTech »

I have a 20 long heavily planted Dwarf Puffer tank (2 female 1 male) that also contains 4 Otocinclis catfish, and a good amount of Amano shrimp (15) and a "Vampire" shrimp, the puffers are perfectly fine with the shrimp, heck the Amanos sometimes steal the puffer's snails from them while they're eating...

i've noticed a lot of uneaten snails in the tank, i remove them before they foul the water

i've been considering adding in a couple (no more than 3) Khuli loaches, to help clean up the puffers "leftover" snails (or the ones they hunt for sport, take one bite of and leave to rot), however, i don't want the Khulis to see the shrimp as snacks, my Amanos range from adult size to 1" (and i just noticed a female packing eggs on her swimmerettes...), i'd imagine the adult Amanos would be safe, but the 1" ones i'd be concerned about

is this anything to worry about, or am i overreacting?

this is the tank in question...
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

The amanos will be fine with the Khuli/Kuli loaches. I would only be concerned about shrimp hatchlings, but since Amano hatchling will not survive in freshwater anyway, you don't have to worry about it.

Mustafa
MacTech
Egg
Egg

Post by MacTech »

Great, just what i was hoping for, thanks

oh, i found out an interesting piece of trivia about my "Vampire" shrimp, i was under the belief that the filter feeding shrimp would only filter floating particles out of the water collumn, or "sweep" the substrate with their fans, as an experiment, i turned off my AC 70, and put a couple of live blackworms in front of him....

he swept them right up :)

feeding Vlad Zoidberg just got a lot easier :D

i guess i'll use the baby Amanos as food for Zoidberg, since they're planktonic when they hatch and he's a filter feeder, it'll be a good match...

one other question, from my research, it seems like Khuli's arent particularly good snail eaters, however, Yo-Yo (Pakistani) loaches are, are Yo-Yo's more of a risk to the Amanos, i understand they're more agressive than the Khulis...
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Counter-question: Do your Amano Shrimp fit into the Yo-Yo's mouth? :)

Mustafa
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

I did an experiment once, I have a tank with 3 Burmese loaches, put in 1 Japonica and boy, I didn't know which ones were faster, the Burmese loaches or the glass cat fishes ... good thing I still had the Japonica in the fish net (which was pressed against the tank wall).

Needless to say that tank has NO shrimps whatsoever :-D
bigheadtai
Egg
Egg

Post by bigheadtai »

My snail population is growing out of control. I wouldn't want to put loaches in there because they will eat the baby shrimps. Any suggestions?
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

I want the answer to that question too.
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

Dwarf puffers could keep the population in check, if not then, manual removal would also be good.

I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 ghost shrimps and there is 2 dwarf puffers there, no snails :D

They will leave shrimps like ghost and Japonica alone but anything smaller, I am not so certain.
Acsuth
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Acsuth »

bigheadtai wrote:My snail population is growing out of control.

What kind of snails are they?

Amanda
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

bigheadtai wrote:My snail population is growing out of control. I wouldn't want to put loaches in there because they will eat the baby shrimps. Any suggestions?
Manually remove the snails.
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

Amanda

YOu can give me your snails then, my puffers would thank you big time :-D
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

Trust me, when you get those plants from me, I'll be throwing in a few "bonus" snails! :-D
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

Cool, thanks!