Shrimp Id

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

alexperez
Egg
Egg

Shrimp Id

Post by alexperez »

Can anyone identify what type of shrimp this is. I received a bunch of shrimp and a few of these came in with the rest.

Thanks,
Alex
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

It's a "blue shrimp." It's a Neocaridina species. It's bluish to blackish, but the offspring are never blue. I have a colony of them right here. Hence I and some other people who thought about why the offspring are not blue believe that it's highly likely that diet is the reason. Either they are being fed some artificial food coloring which becomes permanent in the shrimp's bodies so that even molting won't fade the color or there might be something in their natural diet that causes the blue coloration. I am leaning toward the food coloring.
alexperez
Egg
Egg

Post by alexperez »

Thanks Mustafa..
I did notice that some of them have a blue tint to them, while the others look like the one in the pics.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Yeah, they are a greenish-blue color...the males are paler but more blue. I'll post a few pictures later on today. However, as I said, the offspring are colorless so it would be a moot point to try to breed for color with these guys as the color is not genetic.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Ok, here are the pictures:

Female:

Male:

And this is what the females approximately look like when they get really dark:

By the way, the shrimp on both pictures you posted above appear to be both females (if they are not the same shrimp to begin with).

I'll put up a description page with pictures of the offspring once my juveniles have fully colored out. Right now the juveniles are more or less colorless, although some are almost as large as the adults. This will finally put an end to not so honest sellers claiming to be selling "blue shrimp" that produce blue offspring. Until someone can prove with pictures that they have a colony of blue shrimp with pictures of blue offspring at different sizes the "blue shrimp" will remain a myth. But who knows, maybe a natural mutation will occur at some point. After all, the hobby is still very young.
Last edited by Mustafa on Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

They have blue eggs too? :shock:
Man that is some color additive. :?

TKD
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

TKD wrote:They have blue eggs too? :shock:
Man that is some color additive. :?

TKD

No, the eggs are not blue. They are brown, however since the shrimp is blue it might give the appearance that the eggs are blue, too. These blue seems to establish itself in the natural color cells of these shrimp so that the shrimp can change the intensity of their coloration according to how they feel. It all looks very natural and not like the artificially injected fish that you see in fish stores sometimes.
milalic
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by milalic »

It will have blue and brownish babies...more brownish than blue.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

milalic wrote:It will have blue and brownish babies...more brownish than blue.
Are you sure you're not convincing yourself that they have some blue on them? I don't see any blue whatsoever among the offspring and many of my friends in Germany have had the same results with these shrimp.

If you really think they are blue, can you post a picture? Post a picture of the brown ones, too.
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Jackie »

The offspring of my blue shrimp was brown.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Jackie wrote:The offspring of my blue shrimp was brown.
Were they brown fairly quickly after hatching? My offspring are starting to show egg development in their ovaries and they are not brown. I do have a brightly colored sand substrate, so that might play a role. They might turn brown on a darker substrate.

Can you post some pictures of the offspring?
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Jackie »

Mustafa wrote:Were they brown fairly quickly after hatching?
No, after hatching they were colourless, started getting brown after about 2-3 weeks. The brown pigment was light-coloured and delicate, they looked like very weakly coloured Cherries, only the pigment was brown instead of red.

Mustafa wrote:Can you post some pictures of the offspring?
Well... actually I don't have them anymore, I used them as food for my M. assamense :( Stupid of me, I should have at least made a few pics.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Jackie wrote: No, after hatching they were colourless, started getting brown after about 2-3 weeks. The brown pigment was light-coloured and delicate, they looked like very weakly coloured Cherries, only the pigment was brown instead of red.
Hmmm...interesting. My offspring are about 1.5 to 2 months old and don't show any brown at all. If I am right about the food coloring causing the blue in these shrimp, then it's highly possible that several different species of Neocaridina are fed this food and that's why the offspring are different in different batches of "blue" shrimp. Just a hypothesis. I'll post pictures of my offspring soon. I have a feeling that at least the females will get some kind of color once they start carrying eggs.
Lady Friesian
Larva
Larva

Post by Lady Friesian »

I don't really know much about dyes in shrimp, but is it possible that there is a recessive "blue" gene? This would make any offspring appear normal (unless both parents were blue), but could turn up in later generations if bred back.

I've never heard of a blue shrimp until today, though, so don't get mad if my idea's off! :D