Frogs eating Shrimp??

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

FLshrimp
Egg
Egg

Frogs eating Shrimp??

Post by FLshrimp »

Hi Mustafa - I just recently purchased 10 of your Red Cherry Shrimp and can only seem to find one left in the tank.

I went through the acclimation process and everything seemed A-ok...

I do have 2 dwarf african frogs in my 30 gallon tank along with some feeder guppies - Is it possible that the frogs are eating my shrimp??

Thanks
FL Shrimp

Actually should've scanned down a bit first... question was answered... Sorry...

Anyone know where I can get African dwarf frog food??

Thx...
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

Do you have big frogs?

Maybe the shrimp are hiding in the filter (if they are small enough)?

Sorry if i'm not much help....i've had my amanos for almost 2 years but never really looked up on shrimp much until I got my tiger (2 weeks ago) and cherries (a couple of days ago).

Hopefully someone with more experience will chime in soon.
RobertDD
Egg
Egg

Re: Frogs eating Shrimp??

Post by RobertDD »

FLshrimp wrote:Hi Mustafa - I just recently purchased 10 of your Red Cherry Shrimp and can only seem to find one left in the tank.

I went through the acclimation process and everything seemed A-ok...

I do have 2 dwarf african frogs in my 30 gallon tank along with some feeder guppies - Is it possible that the frogs are eating my shrimp??

Thanks
FL Shrimp

Actually should've scanned down a bit first... question was answered... Sorry...

Anyone know where I can get African dwarf frog food??

Thx...
So... where were they? Don't just say you found the answer (I'm assuming the answer you found is that AD frogs and shrimp do quite well together, right?), let us in on it too, please! I always get such an unfulfilled feeling reading threads like these!
Caridina sp.
Larva
Larva

Post by Caridina sp. »

feed the frogs blackworms a few times a week and tropical flakes every day. Do research before buying animals, remember they're pets not a lab test. The frogs will eat whatever they can catch or fit in their mouths.. Shrimp are very fast when they need to be and frogs are pretty slow so I doubt your frogs could catch any. They'll probably reapear soon enough. Good luck :-D
FLshrimp
Egg
Egg

Frog response

Post by FLshrimp »

Sorry about that - I did find the shrimp, but I also found the answer to my question further down in the forum that the frogs "should not" bother the shrimp...

My frogs are relatively small, but so are the shrimp :shock: ... but I have not seen any aggressive behavior from the frogs to the shrimp... I wish I could say the same for my guppy fry... :-D

Cheers!
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

Were the shrimp in your filter?

My cherry babies have vanished and I suspect they are partying it up in my filter.....i'm gonna remove my filter this evening and see if I can find them.

They live with a male bn plec, 6 pygmy corys, a couple of nerites and apple snails so I know nothings eaten them.
seansd
Egg
Egg

if the frogs are hungry enough.....

Post by seansd »

They will even try to eat what they can't possibly swallow.
frog-predator
shrimp-prey

How small are your frogs that you wouldn't think they'd eat the shrimp?
When I've had them in tank with guppies, they would eat all but the full grown female fish, but no for want of trying.
fishbreed
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by fishbreed »

if you have true dwarf frogs they should not bother full grown shrimp and the shrimp should not bother the frogs. if you have a frog sold under dwarf but if getting big as heck he is no dwarf he will eat anything and everything he can find.
seansd
Egg
Egg

I just can't imaging dwarf clawed with cherries

Post by seansd »

I'll just chalk it up to the growth benefits of the san diego water supply
Maekellen
Egg
Egg

Post by Maekellen »

It's not uncommon for ACF's to be mistakenly sold as ADF's either. ACF's will eat anything they can fit in their mouths and most things they can't as well.

ADF's are nearly as blind as a bat and hunt primarily by smell. While it is possible they would eat baby shrimp, it is highly unlikely they'd be able to catch them to do so. :P
demented_lullaby
Larva
Larva

Re: if the frogs are hungry enough.....

Post by demented_lullaby »

seansd wrote:They will even try to eat what they can't possibly swallow.
frog-predator
shrimp-prey
No they don't.

African claweds will do this but true dwarfs will not. They are very peaceful, especially when they get used to eating prepared food. I feed mine frozen blood worms and have raised guppy fry with them. I suspected the fry would get eaten before free swimming but I still had a bunch. I cant see a true dwarf being smart enough to catch a shrimp anyway :P. Mine never did when they lived together anyhow.
Ecir
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Ecir »

I know this is touching on an old thread but I didn't feel it nessecary to start a whole new topic on the same thing.

Based on the information from this original post I thought it would be ok to have a dwarf frog in my shrimp tank. For the past few months everything has been fine, great color on the shrimps, lots of cherries having babies but for all the babies my population wasn't growing as fast as it should.

I have always kept the frog well fed on sinking pellets and the only time he showed any aggresion towards the shrimp was to defend his pellets from the larger Ghost shrimp. The other day I actually saw my frog eat a baby so I pulled him out immedietly.

Since pulling the frog out the amount of babies I can find has been increasing every day, I'm not sure if he was eating most of them or if they were in hiding because of a predator lurking around.

Buyer beware! I don't know if mine was just feeling a little peckish but I highly reccomend against African Dwarf Frogs in your shrimp tank.

Ecir

P.S. and the frogs aren't nearly as interesting as shrimp :P
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the update, Ecir. :) You confirm what was obvious to me all along (although I don't keep dwarf frogs). Small, benthic invertebrates are the natural food of dwarf frogs, so it's not a surprise that they would hunt down young shrimp for food.