Tiger shrimp mating behaviour

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Tiger shrimp mating behaviour

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

I've done a search....read through loads of posts (and a couple of arguments :lol:) but I can't find anything about mating behaviour.

Last night I was watching my two tigers zipping around the tank and they seemed to find each other in mid swim and "bump chests"....this only happened once for a second and then they both swam away. Then one settled down next to the other and they carried on nibbling algae off a plant like nothing had happened.

I couldn't tell you if I have two males, two females or one of each. One is larger and fuller bodied than the smaller, slimmer one but they could be different ages I guess. I would love to get a couple of photos of them but it's difficult as I have algae on the glass for them, my otto and my viviparus to eat.

Is there any particular mating behaviour to look out for?

Many thanks in advance.
GunmetalBlue
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Tiger shrimp mating behaviour

Post by GunmetalBlue »

Shrimp&Snails wrote:I've done a search....read through loads of posts (and a couple of arguments :lol:)
:lol:
Last night I was watching my two tigers zipping around the tank and they seemed to find each other in mid swim and "bump chests"....this only happened once for a second and then they both swam away. Then one settled down next to the other and they carried on nibbling algae off a plant like nothing had happened.
My experience is, the pre-mating type behavior is exhibited for hours, meaning the males seem to swim around for a better part of the day. From what you just described, it sounds like they just simply bumped into each other.
Is there any particular mating behaviour to look out for?
If you're trying to breed shrimp and aren't sure of their sex, the easiest way to go about it is to buy them in groups; it should increase your chance of having mixed sex.

With that said, I've found that shrimp generally follow a set pattern. When I first notice shrimp zipping around the tank, it catches my attention; when I take a closer look, I'll usually see a molted exoskeleton on the tank floor - which helps confirm what's taking place.

I've observed that only the males zip around the tank; however, the female will zip around in an effort to get away when he comes near. Something else I've observed is that after the male lands near the female, he sometimes slowly approaches while fanning his swimmerettes. I've observed this behavior both with the Cherries and Bumblebees, so I presume it happens across the board concerning dwarf shrimp mating behaviour.

The best way I can describe the "attempts" at mating is that it looks like a fast motion rendition of small planes in aerial combat - they zip and zoom in a fairly tight circle :P . It's a wonder they eventually manage to mate at all, since they move so quickly. :wink:

-GB
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

That sounds fascinating.....thanks, I know what to watch out for now. :D

I have seven tigers.....soon to be six looking at one of them. :( I bought five on Friday from my lfs and I sort of expected to lose a couple. :? :(

My PH is around 6.8, GH is >10d and KH is 3d. I'm soaking a piece of bogwood to try and bring the levels down some more.

Someone on another site is apparently doing well keeping tigers in high PH and has got babies and a shrimp keeper I know is also keeping them in a PH of around 7.6 and one of hers has eggs.

I kept a tiger in 7.6 (when I didn't know about the softer water thing) but it only lived around 4 weeks.