Transferring from an Ecosphere (new to aquariums)

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Icelightning
Egg
Egg

Transferring from an Ecosphere (new to aquariums)

Post by Icelightning »

Hello everyone! I'm one of many who received an ecosphere for Christmas, found out how horrible they were to the shrimp after Google-searching about what kind of shrimp they were, and now want to get them out of it. However, unlike some other members on the forum, I've never had an aquarium of any type before. After many, many hours worth of research (probably upwards of 50-60 hours?), I've come to the stage where I can start preparing for their move.

*This section is just background on my observations and care of the sphere and the shrimp within. Feel free to skip it if you just want to focus on the "moving" aspect.*
I suspect the sphere is newer than ones you buy other times during the year, because my brother bought it late November/early December when a shipment specific for Christmas arrived at Brookstone. This means that the shrimp were probably only in the sphere a short while before I was given them, and this was prepared just for the holiday season.

I make sure they get about 5-8 hours of indirect sunlight every day and use my desk's light to provide a little more added light/heat. They're currently set up near my computer so that the temperature of the air around them varies from about 74-80 degrees (I keep a clock + thermometer near their sphere for temperature monitoring purposes). Despite what the Ecosphere booklet says, I've let the algae and bacteria increase to higher levels than what the Ecosphere started out with (which was, basically, none).

The shrimp right now seem pretty happy about this arrangement, doing all their little shrimp things (foraging, swimming, molting), and are more active than any store-model Ecosphere I've ever seen. They're quite active swimmers, which I believe is not a result of stress since they'll stop to eat when hungry. I've seen at least two of them molt (once I actually saw the molt occur), and I suspect they've molted more than that considering how fast they eat their skins (since it probably provides variety and it's easy to notice in such a little space). They don't "popcorn" very often unless they had molted earlier that day, and they don't mind their sphere being moved slightly.

I've managed to find out the species (which I'm stating here mostly for my reference in the future) contained in the ecosphere. The three shrimp (Two 9mm adults and one 7mm juvenile, by the looks of it) are Opae Ula / Hawaiian Red / Halocaridina rubra. Two types of algae are also present and while not specifically named, they are called "blue algae" and "green algae" by many different sites (and from what I can tell, that's about accurate). Within the ecosphere is also a piece of formerly dried out Gorgonia (don't know what species, sorry) that has grown fuzzy algae over it. I suspect they're doing so well because they've munched on the Gorgonia's algae often and have, as a result, actually eaten parts of the Gorgonia as well. Not sure if that's healthy for them, but it doesn't seem to hurt them, either.
*And thus ends the long section of back story and information.*

So, since the ecosystem is very stable right now, I want to get them out before the nutrients start to run out or other complications arise. The bacteria have obviously grown into adequate populations because I see no stress due to an unstable nitrogen cycle, so now they're much happier, and they've been getting enough oxygen/nourishment from the algae (and sometimes the gorgonia branching structure) judging by their activities. So now I want to transfer them while they're still in good health before the Ecosphere takes its toll on them again.

Since I am in a dorm room and am located in a college town with very little pet-related resources, my options right now are limited as to what I can do until about mid-May when I get home. However, I would like to transfer them to another container of some sort that I can choose to leave open or to close when transporting them home. I've been thinking about trying to find an airtight glass canister, scrubbing that clean with some sort of cloth (without chemicals, of course), and then transferring them into that so at least the "air" parameter will be easier to control. I'm planning to get one about the same diameter as the ecosphere so that the water level will drop only minimally. Again, like I said, I've never owned an aquarium, so this is all brand new to me.

However, I am not exactly sure how to go about transferring them from one container to another without killing them. Should I scoop out the gravel first, then pull out the Gorgonia, and lastly pour the shrimp/algae and their water into the new container? It sounds like the shrimp would get smashed against the rocks, so this really doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Could I possibly catch them in an extremely small container for a few moments, pour the water, and then release them back into the new container? There's very little water to be had in the sphere, only about half a liter or a little more than a cup of water, so there's not much I can do. Since the sphere's top is very round, I can't position it upside down for very long without the danger of it rolling over and pouring out all the water. With so little water, I want to minimize any loss I might have, and to not kill any of the helpful algae/bacteria at the same time.

This leaves the issue of how do I test for the salinity? The only real option, considering there's so little water, is to use a refractometer. I'm thinking that maybe I could get someone in one of my colleges many departments (Life Sciences, Geosciences, Engineering, etc) to give me a reading for it. I do remember something about there being classes on Marine biology, so maybe they might have refractometers specifically geared towards aquariums.

There are a few parameters that I haven't found any information for concerning this shrimp, namely pH and hardness of the water that the shrimp prefer. I plan to use distilled water, but if they like a higher pH I will think about using some coral substrate. Since I already have bacteria that I can use from the ecosphere, can I just use that, slowly raise the salinity over time (using distilled water mixed with slowly increasing amounts of Instant Ocean sea salt) so that I increase the water level as I increase the salinity slowly over time. How often should I increase the salinity? The first time I increase salinity, I want to raise the water level high enough that I can possibly use a small hydrometer, so how deep would the water need to be past the hydrometer's length? I'm starting with perhaps three and a half inches of water.

Also, I'm curious on how to tell what sexes of shrimp I have. For Opae Ula, I read in the forums that you can look for a dark spot near their top back that are supposed to be a female's ovaries? If so, I think all three are female, because all three have these structures.

Er, make that all three shrimp have molted at least once, probably more. The littlest one molted while I was typing this up, is acting skittish (can't blame her, really) while her new skin hardens, and the other two are tussling over who gets to eat it (they get excited because it provides variety in their diet, I suspect). Both keep on swiping it from the other, although the dark red adult seems to have it for the longest as opposed to the paler one. Never knew Hawaiian Reds were masters of stalking and sneak attacks. I suppose I should expect that, having named them after three ninjas in a Japanese series I'm quite a fan of. This wasn't really a surprise, because the shrimp in question had been acting like she was going to molt for a few days now. She seems closer to 8mm now (just managed to measure her while she's sitting against the glass), so they're definitely growing.

Thanks for reading through all this! I'll ask about tank setup in this thread later so that I don't ask too many questions at once. Sorry about the length of my first post; rambling and the need to provide extreme amounts of information is something that runs in my family. Writing this up took longer than I thought, so I have to hurry and start homework/studying now.
DatDamWuf
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by DatDamWuf »

Check Mustafa's shrimp varieties page to see what water parameters you need for these guys. You should be able to keep them in a tank that is very small, 1-2 gallons. I don't know much more not having kept these guys.

One question, do you know how to open the ecosphere without trauma? I have one that I intend to free soon but there doesn't appear to be any easy way to open it. Hate to just break the sphere with shrimp in it! Until I read Mustafa's site I didnt' realize what the ecosphere was doing to the shrimp. :cry:

~D
Icelightning
Egg
Egg

Post by Icelightning »

I did read about the water parameters. It did mention Salinity, but it didn't mention hardness or pH. Which is why I'm asking here.

Actually, I'm curious about how to open the sphere safely, too. I did notice there's a seal in the bottom and we might be able to pop that. Otherwise, I'm not sure what to do.

A one-two gallon tank was what I was planning on, although I'm not sure if I should go with glass or acrylic. I've got some questions on the tank set-up, but I really want to know how to safely transfer them out of the sphere, once open, into a temporary home. I plan on putting them in an actual tank later, when I have better choices back home.
frugalfish
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by frugalfish »

My advice, leave them in the sphere until you get home from school. Your shrimp sound very stable and they will survive until your ready to do a proper move. Believe me you are doing more than most will ever do with one of those spheres and these shrimp can live a long time with total neglect in one of those things. It sounds like the hard part is finding how to open the sphere up without damaging the shrimp. Once you figure that out the rest is easy.

You'll need at least a 2.5 gallon tank, substrate should be crushed coral or equivalent, a heater if needed, lighting, Instant Ocean or equivalent, and a refractometer to measure salinity. Aim for a salinity in the 1.006-1.0014 range. Hardness and pH will be taken care of automatically by the salt water mix. Top off evaporated water with distilled or R/O water.

I don't know if you've done a search on this site, but there are some good threads on these shrimp. Search "opae ula" or "hawaiian". Plenty of info on how to maintain these little guys.
Icelightning
Egg
Egg

Post by Icelightning »

Yeah, since they're stable that's probably the best idea. Right now, I can strictly control the light since I've made a cover that goes over their sphere (sadly, in my school colors, but heh). They've gotten much happier now that they have night/day.

I was thinking that the brackish water might take care of pH/hardness, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for clearing that up! I was also planning on the rest of what you've said, but I'm thinking about getting a hydrometer instead of a refractometer. Refractometers are way above my budget right now, so I might have to borrow someone's. Maybe one of the petstores at home will let me use one of theirs, since otherwise a move would be too risky.

A lot of your suggestions for the tank check out with the ones I was planning. If needed, I'll get a small sponge filter. I doubt I'll need the heater very often since the two spots I'll be sticking these guys are both very good at maintaining a constant temp of around 74 F or higher. I think I've only ever seen it get as high as about 81 F or so.

=) And I have browsed all of the different threads multiple times and then my brother, a biology major, looked over them as well. This is basically confirming I'm going about it the right way. Thanks!

Edit: I do plan on using coral substrate, and maybe some lava rock for them to hide in, but I'm not sure where I can find a small bag of the substrate. Every place I look online, they're selling them in 15lb bags, which is a great deal more than I need.
frugalfish
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by frugalfish »

I was also planning on the rest of what you've said, but I'm thinking about getting a hydrometer instead of a refractometer.
I meant to say hydrometer.

If needed, I'll get a small sponge filter.
With only three shrimp you aren't going to need one.
I do plan on using coral substrate, and maybe some lava rock for them to hide in, but I'm not sure where I can find a small bag of the substrate.
Check with local fish stores, some sell it by the pound from open bins.
Icelightning
Egg
Egg

Post by Icelightning »

frugalfish wrote:I meant to say hydrometer.
I was wondering. =)
With only three shrimp you aren't going to need one.
Hmm, I was debating between whether I needed one or not, since it'd be a very sparse population. Okay, this'll save me some money I can use to buy other supplies. As long as I don't overfeed them, the bacteria should keep it pretty clean.
Check with local fish stores, some sell it by the pound from open bins.
That's what I was thinking. The one at college is a rather small one, so they only sell the bigger bags. They have open containers of other types of substrate, though, but not the best for these guys. I'm going to hold off on purchasing any supplies until I get them back home.

There is one thing I have to ask... Since I'll be placing everything from their old home into their new one, would cycling be necessary? I plan on using distilled water and will test it before adding, but I don't see that as being a source of contamination. If I don't need to cycle it, this'll cut off a week from my schedule.

Thanks for the help! You've answered a lot of my questions and have confirmed I'm going in the correct general direction with this.
frugalfish
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by frugalfish »

There is one thing I have to ask... Since I'll be placing everything from their old home into their new one, would cycling be necessary?
No. If you are able to add the existing material from the sphere to the new tank that will "seed" the new tank with the necessary bacteria to get it started. Again with only three shrimp don't worry about cycling, they will not produce enough waste to cause problems. However, feeding them will be your concern. Do not over feed. These shrimp eat very, very little. Once a tank is developing algae and has aged sufficiently there is no reason to even bother feeding. Again, if you are able to add the existing material from the ecosphere you shouldn't have to worry about feeding at all, there will be enough to sustain them until the new tank becomes established.
I plan on using distilled water and will test it before adding, but I don't see that as being a source of contamination.
I assume you mean that you are planning on using distilled water when mixing the salt solution and topping off from evaporation. Then yes, there should be no worry of adding ammonia, nitrites, nitrates etc. to the tank.

These shrimp are very easy to care for once they have an established environment. The main concerns once that is reached is temperature control and adding back water from evaporation. Too much kindness seems to be the real problem, i.e. over feeding.
Icelightning
Egg
Egg

Post by Icelightning »

I've read how little they actually eat, so I'm definitely going to make sure I don't give them anymore spirulina that they can't eat in a few minutes only a couple times a week. Once the algae is established, they might get an occasional treat, but that's it.

Yup, distilled water + Instant Ocean all the way. I'm trying to figure out how to get a salinity reading of the sphere once I open it, so I can mix water at about the same salinity and slowly increase it until it's at the brackish range they like.

As for transferring between the tanks, I think I know how I'm going to do it. Rinse the new stuff going into the tank (lava rock, crushed coral, etc) and then use water at the ecosphere's salinity. I'll let it sit until the salt properly dissolves and then check the parameters (24 hours, probably). With the water high enough in the new tank, and having cleaned off the outside glass of the ecosphere, I can just slip it into the water and slowly remove it near the bottom of the tank, letting the gravel in it slide out with minimal disturbance. Then I'll take out the little structure in the sphere and put it in with them, since it's got bacteria as well.

I'm planning on cleaning the inside glass with the included magnet so that bacteria stuck on it will be transferred as well.

Does that sound like a good plan?
frugalfish
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by frugalfish »

Yup, distilled water + Instant Ocean all the way. I'm trying to figure out how to get a salinity reading of the sphere once I open it, so I can mix water at about the same salinity and slowly increase it until it's at the brackish range they like.
I wouldn't worry about the water in the ecosphere, but if you can find a way to check it then go ahead. Just shoot for a salinity around 1.012 +- which is about half strength saltwater. You are going to need to acclimate the shrimp to the water in the new tank no matter what the salinity.
As for transferring between the tanks, I think I know how I'm going to do it. Rinse the new stuff going into the tank (lava rock, crushed coral, etc) and then use water at the ecosphere's salinity.
That's fine, again don't worry about the eco's salinity.
I'll let it sit until the salt properly dissolves and then check the parameters (24 hours, probably).
Make your salt mix in a bucket not the tank. You are going to really need to mix it well and you'll find it much easier than in the tank. Definitely let it stand for 24hrs before measuring.
With the water high enough in the new tank, and having cleaned off the outside glass of the ecosphere, I can just slip it into the water and slowly remove it near the bottom of the tank, letting the gravel in it slide out with minimal disturbance. Then I'll take out the little structure in the sphere and put it in with them, since it's got bacteria as well.
Here's where you need to properly acclimate the shrimp before placing them into the new tank. To acclimate them you'll need to remove small amounts of water out of the sphere and then replace it with water from the new tank, wait 10 minutes and then repeat. Keep doing this until most of the water in the sphere has been replaced by the new water. After this you can then lower the sphere into the tank, let the shrimp swim out, and dump the remaining contents on the bottom. Acclimation is very important so take your time with the process.
Icelightning
Egg
Egg

Post by Icelightning »

That sounds reasonable. The hard part will be finding something small enough to get into the sphere, but that shouldn't be too hard. Maybe a specialty cooking store might have the right sort of thing.

Thanks for all your help! I saw your thread and your setup looks awesome. What sort of rock are you using for decor?
frugalfish
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by frugalfish »

I can't remember what type of rock that is, I've had it for a very long time.
Icelightning
Egg
Egg

Post by Icelightning »

Hmm... Now I have an interesting development. I'm about ready to do the transfer, but I think one of my females is developing eggs inside of her. She looks similar to the female in this picture:
viewtopic.php?t=1571

The only difference is that the eggs are developing under her ovaries instead of behind. Is that the way it works in Hawaiian Reds?

And if the eggs are developing, are they fertilized yet? I'm going to check the forum to look for that answer, but I'm just posing it here before I forget.

Edit: Ah, good, they're unfertilized... They've dropped eggs before, now that I think about it. At least all there are still female.
Newjohn
Shrimp Nut
Shrimp Nut

Post by Newjohn »

Icelightning

How did the transfer go ?

John
linderaberry
Egg
Egg

Post by linderaberry »

I also am interested, as I plan to do th same thing eventually.