Cherry Red Shrimp -- Updated with pictures

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Wisperian
Egg
Egg

Cherry Red Shrimp -- Updated with pictures

Post by Wisperian »

Hey everyone :D I'm new here and I'm getting 10+ cherry reds soon. I have a 10g and 3g planted set up already. Both of the tanks are heavily planted with moss, java ferns, riccia and such. I'm using fine gravel as substrate and I have some rocks and driftwood in each of the tanks. I was wondering if this set up was alright. I was really wondering about how many shrimp per gallon would be good? I got VERY random results all over the net like 4 shrimp per gallon, 1 shrimp per 10 gallon and so on. Also, what should the minimum of shrimp be in one single tank to make breeding possibly easier? Thanks in advance :-D
Last edited by Wisperian on Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

Well ,
i dont have any formal answer for you, but only my own data. :)

personnally i have more than 100shimp in a 3.5g
all matter of maintenace schedule.

dont forget cherry Can live under conditions that are soft and slightly acidic (ph 6.6-7.0) to very hard and alkaline (ph 7.0-8.4 and above). Very adaptable shrimp. Is most productive and does best in soft to medium hard water with a ph in the alkaline range. Might not reproduce at all in water that is too acidic.

check the species page
Wisperian
Egg
Egg

Post by Wisperian »

Awesome :-D Thanks for your help :-)
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Jackie »

zapisto wrote:ont forget cherry Can live under conditions that are soft and slightly acidic (ph 6.6-7.0) to very hard and alkaline (ph 7.0-8.4 and above). Very adaptable shrimp. Is most productive and does best in soft to medium hard water with a ph in the alkaline range. Might not reproduce at all in water that is too acidic.
From my experience: they feel good in SLIGHTLY alkaline water, but above pH 8 reproducing slows down. Maybe I overlooked something at it was not the pH that mattered. IMO they feel best in a pH range 6,5 - 7,5. It is true however that they can live and reproduce in a larger range of parameters.
Wisperian
Egg
Egg

Post by Wisperian »

Well, I just received them and guess what? One of the females are pregnant! :D I -think- that I have around 13-15 but they're too fast for me to count :P . I'm really hoping the eggs will hatch and such! Wish me luck :wink:
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

Wisperian wrote:Well, I just received them and guess what? One of the females are pregnant! :D I -think- that I have around 13-15 but they're too fast for me to count :P . I'm really hoping the eggs will hatch and such! Wish me luck :wink:
it is not really hard :)
keep the good parameter and the good quality of water and you will dont know what to do with cherry :wink:
Wisperian
Egg
Egg

Post by Wisperian »

Thanks for the encouragement :-) . I think they've settled in now. They're cleaning the moss and some and swimming at the top of the tank doing...something :shock:
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Great news :D ! Hope you enjoy them and the soon to be new arrivals. But remember that the healthier they are the more you will enjoy them. Be sure to keep us updated and ask for help if you need it. Thanks again for sharing with us :wink:
Wisperian
Egg
Egg

Post by Wisperian »

This is SUCH a friendly place 8) . Anyways, my eggbound female has around 10-15 bright yellow eggs. Is there any possible way to tell about when my eggs are going to hatch?
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Yes, it takes about 3 weeks from the time the shrimp start carrying the eggs. Is there anyway you can ask the seller?
Wisperian
Egg
Egg

Post by Wisperian »

I can try to ask him, but he actually has a few hundred of these shrimp so I think it'd be really difficult for him to remember the day a certain female got pregnant :-D
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Looks like you are going to have a surprise any day now :!: Keep your eyes open as the babies are 2-3mm long :lol:
Wisperian
Egg
Egg

Post by Wisperian »

I am totally looking forward to it :o I don't really expect them to be hatching anytime this week as I don't see any brown eyes or anything yet :wink: I'll keep you guys alerted!
Wisperian
Egg
Egg

Post by Wisperian »

Well, its a 3g eclipse planted shrimp only tank. These were taken by my new phone so I still don't know how to focus it. Sheesh :P But, you can make out the eggs as the yellow blobs :/ in the last picture

Oh yeah. they're different sized pics because I was playing around with the phone. The blurry white things are the shrimp haha.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

I too have an Eclipse tank. You will need to put a sponge over the filter's inlet valve. I use a Hagen replacement sponge for sponge filters but there are others you can use. Just make sure the pores are not too large as the baby shrimp can be sucked up or crawl into the sponge. It's good to see that you have some moss, shrimp love moss :D