substrate
Moderator: Mustafa
-
doox00
- Egg

- Posts: 12
- Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:50 pm
substrate
Hey all, I am setting up a 90g tank, I plan to keep live plants and inverts. I was wondering if sand is a better substrate then gravel. As of now I have 3 15 pound bags of flourite and 75 pounds of gravel to put over the flourite. Should I switch the gravel out for sand? If so any recommendations?
-
Mustafa
- Founder

- Posts: 6092
- Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 2:13 pm
- Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Sand or gravel does not seem make a whole lot of difference. The only thing about gravel is that it traps dirt and food particles more easily than sand. That's organic material that is not accessible to the shrimp. I have tanks with sand and tanks with gravel and the shrimp seem to do fine on both. The gravel tanks only have a very thin layer of gravel, though, barely covering the bottom.
-
YuccaPatrol
- Shrimp Master

- Posts: 600
- Joined: Sun Mar 12, 2006 4:41 pm
- Location: Burning-Ham, Alabama
I don't really like gravel for plants because it is too coarse for rooting plants, but I do really like the flourite. I have it in one of my tanks and the plants grow very nicely.
I've recently been using sand in all new tanks and really like it a lot. The black colored "Tahitian Moon Sand" looks really great and highlights the inverts nicely.
In the tanks that still have gravel, I have a hard time keeping plants rooted in the substrate. Eventually I will make the switch to sand.
I've recently been using sand in all new tanks and really like it a lot. The black colored "Tahitian Moon Sand" looks really great and highlights the inverts nicely.
In the tanks that still have gravel, I have a hard time keeping plants rooted in the substrate. Eventually I will make the switch to sand.
-
Annako
- Larva

- Posts: 41
- Joined: Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:36 pm
- Location: IL
I have a layer of flourite with a layer of tahitian moon in my palaemonetes and neocaridina overflow tank. It is also home to the axolotl and many plants.
I am not particularlly fond gravel. First of all Mr. Axolotl can eat it and get sick. Secondly, My plants see to root better/less chances of mr. axolotl uprooting them. Third, I find sand a bit easier to clean. Fourth, I canwatch snails forage/burrow in it. Mr Shrimp also love picking up individual sand particles and explore the sand that way at times. Well, that is my opinion about sand vs. gravel. Sorry about the axolotl talk, but that was my first experience with a planted tank on sand and a few years later the palaemonetes came and the juviniles are growing well and thriving. My cherries do no live in the axolotl house as of now (too cold for reproduction) but they are on a stright up white sand substrate. I have another idle 20L(former aragonite land) I plan to switch to a flourite/black sand lightly planted.
Good luck with your substrate descision!
I am not particularlly fond gravel. First of all Mr. Axolotl can eat it and get sick. Secondly, My plants see to root better/less chances of mr. axolotl uprooting them. Third, I find sand a bit easier to clean. Fourth, I canwatch snails forage/burrow in it. Mr Shrimp also love picking up individual sand particles and explore the sand that way at times. Well, that is my opinion about sand vs. gravel. Sorry about the axolotl talk, but that was my first experience with a planted tank on sand and a few years later the palaemonetes came and the juviniles are growing well and thriving. My cherries do no live in the axolotl house as of now (too cold for reproduction) but they are on a stright up white sand substrate. I have another idle 20L(former aragonite land) I plan to switch to a flourite/black sand lightly planted.
Good luck with your substrate descision!
-
doox00
- Egg

- Posts: 12
- Joined: Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:50 pm
-
Neonshrimp
- Master Shrimp Nut

- Posts: 2296
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 5:37 pm
- Location: California, USA
-
AnneRiceBowl
- Shrimpoholic

- Posts: 327
- Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:00 pm
- Location: Omaha, NE, USA
-
starrystarstarr
- Egg

- Posts: 24
- Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:06 pm
- Location: Brownsville, Texas
-
Peter
- Egg

- Posts: 8
- Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:23 pm
-
kuhliloach
- <b>BANNED</b>
- Posts: 3
- Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:42 pm
-
badflash
- Master Shrimp Nut

- Posts: 2542
- Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:06 pm
- Location: Wappingers Falls, NY
-
Newjohn
- Shrimp Nut

- Posts: 1076
- Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:32 am
- Location: Michigan G.R.
-
Pugio
- Larva

- Posts: 38
- Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:38 am
- Location: Maryland
-
Neonshrimp
- Master Shrimp Nut

- Posts: 2296
- Joined: Wed May 24, 2006 5:37 pm
- Location: California, USA
-
Daudin
- Larva

- Posts: 41
- Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:30 pm
- Location: Czech Republic