Request help to identify North Australian shrimp

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Dave
Egg
Egg

Request help to identify North Australian shrimp

Post by Dave »

Hello
I'm new here, I live near Darwin and keep little shrimps that I collect locally.

I was wonderring if anyone can help with the identity of a North Australian shrimp, it is about 15mm and I put a picture of it in an album I just created called Dave's Australian native shrimps. I will put more pictures in later.

Is it possible to put a picture in with a post. I dont see how to do it but notice there were other posts with pictures when I was looking for pictures of shrimps similar to the little black one I put in the album.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers
Dave
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

Kind of hard to see from here, but if you box up a few breeding pairs and send them to me..

Just kidding, great looking shrimp and welcome to the forum! These look a lot like wild Neocaridina.

As to how to post, the pics need to be hosted someplace. I use photobucket, but there are tons of places that host pics for free.
You can then use the img command

Basically you surround the url for the pic with the Image
Dave
Egg
Egg

Howard River Shrimp

Post by Dave »

Thanks for the start, looks like others with the Neocaridina label. I might have to send some off to the Museum in Qld. The local Museum crustacean expert retired a few years ago and was not replaced.

They come in different colours, some dark green, orange, red, clear, and occasionally blue. I will try for some more photos of the different forms as they turn up.

Dave
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Hi Dave and welcome,

How much experience do you have with crustaceans? You might want to apply for the local Museum crustacean expert position, just a thought :)

Thanks for the nice picture!
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by wklotz »

Hi Dave!

There are a lot of atyid shrimp species in the northern region of Australia. Not only of the genus Caridina but also Paratya, Australatya and others. But there are no Neocaridina on your country.
Itentifying atyid shrimps on basis of a photo is very problematic, almost inpossible.
Maybe the dark shrimp on your pic could be C. serratirostris. This species is rather common in waters near the coast. The shrimp with the white rosturm is almost certainly NO Caridina longirostris.

I think you should contact either Tim Page from the Griffith University ( t.page@griffith.edu.au ) or Satish Choy Satish.Choy@dnr.qld.gov.au for identification. Sending native shrimp outside of Australia is not allowed.

Cheers
Werner
Dave
Egg
Egg

Post by Dave »

Hello Werner,

thanks for your input. I had the shrimp with the white rostrum identified by a biologist in the Parks and Wildlife Service here in the NT. I was confidet that it is C.longirostris. I will see if there are any better photos then put them in the photo album.

I hadn't intended to send any shrimps out of Australia but how do you know it is not possible. Have you tried to get some out of this country?

Cheers
Dave

wklotz wrote:Hi Dave!

The shrimp with the white rosturm is almost certainly NO Caridina longirostris.

Cheers
Werner
wklotz
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by wklotz »

I hadn't intended to send any shrimps out of Australia but how do you know it is not possible. Have you tried to get some out of this country?
Australia has one of the most strictest regulations on export of wild animails. I don´t know if you would get a permission to export a few preservated shrimp for a scientific examination in a lab outside of Australia, probably not.

Cheers Werner
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

wklotz wrote:
Australia has one of the most strictest regulations on export of wild animails. I don´t know if you would get a permission to export a few preservated shrimp for a scientific examination in a lab outside of Australia, probably not.

Cheers Werner
Even if they were captive breed?

TKD
Dave
Egg
Egg

Exporting inverts from Aust.

Post by Dave »

[/quote]

Even if they were captive breed?

TKD[/quote]

I think that it is possible to export captive bred invertebrates if they are part of an approved aquaculture facility that has passed the criteria from the Commonwealth Government to be part of an approved aquaculture program. The application forms are on the Department of Environment and Heritage Website.

Below is copied from application form off the Govt website.

"Permits to export Australian native specimens overseas for commercial purposes can be obtained from the Department of Environment and Heritage (DEH) if the specimens being exported come from an approved program such as an approved
Aquaculture Program.
Further information on wildlife trade, the EPBC Act and
CITES is available at:
http://www.deh.gov.au/biodiversity/trade-use/index.html "

It does not look to be impossible just involved and thick with red tape.

Cheers
Dave
Dave
Egg
Egg

NT Shrimp

Post by Dave »

Hello Wrerner,
just thought I would let you know the NT Museum has identified the shrimp pictured as C. serratirostris. You were correct.

Cheers
Dave

wklotz wrote:Hi Dave!

There are a lot of atyid shrimp species in the northern region of Australia. Not only of the genus Caridina but also Paratya, Australatya and others. But there are no Neocaridina on your country.
Itentifying atyid shrimps on basis of a photo is very problematic, almost inpossible.
Maybe the dark shrimp on your pic could be C. serratirostris. This species is rather common in waters near the coast. The shrimp with the white rosturm is almost certainly NO Caridina longirostris.

I think you should contact either Tim Page from the Griffith University ( t.page@griffith.edu.au ) or Satish Choy Satish.Choy@dnr.qld.gov.au for identification. Sending native shrimp outside of Australia is not allowed.

Cheers
Werner
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Nice shrimp! And that was a good guess wklotz ;)
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I think in Werner's case it was not really a guess....
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

badflash wrote:I think in Werner's case it was not really a guess....
Well, you know what I meant :D I guess I could of made it more clear.

Good identification skills wklotz! :-D
Dave
Egg
Egg

Re: Request help to identify North Australian shrimp

Post by Dave »

It is time for an updatye on the identification of the four local Atyiid Shrimps from around Darwin in the NT. I took Werner's advice and went to Dr Tim Page of Griffith University in Qld. He kindly offered to run their DNA and check it against known collections here in Australia. It appears that all the local shrimps are new species that have the following tags from the Scientific community until a taxonomist does the work.

Caridina sp. (NTnilotica)
Caridina sp. (WA_4)
Caridina sp. (NT2)
Caridina_sp (Gulf1)

Cheers
Dave
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Request help to identify North Australian shrimp

Post by southerndesert »

Very interesting and congrats on bringing 4 new species of Caridina to light! Thank you for sharing this.

Bill