An exciting new shrimp!

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Mustafa
Founder
Founder

An exciting new shrimp!

Post by Mustafa »

Hi folks,

I have added another very exciting and promising new shrimp to the shrimp varieties pages that will hopefully find wide distribution in the hobby in the future:

http://www.petshrimp.com/darkgreenshrimp.html

It's a very nice dark green shrimp from India. The second green shrimp in the hobby! It's quite different from the normal green shrimp in color and body shape. Also, its young are larger initially and grow up much faster than the green shrimp young (rivaling or even exceeding red cherry shrimp young in growth!).

I, for one, am very, very excited about this shrimp. :)
Last edited by Mustafa on Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

:shock: Wow, very nice new green shrimp :-D . Interesting how the young can be red. I take it they should be kept in alkaline water over the long run like the other indian shrimp? I hope to see them available soon :-D
YuccaPatrol
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by YuccaPatrol »

Those are going to be a great addition to the hobby, especially if they reproduce so well. :D
RCSGuy
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by RCSGuy »

Wow this is truly awesome, if they can breed/ grow faster than RCS then that is very good 8) I hope to start seeing these "pop-up" in the shrimp market very soon :) Thank you for keeping us updated on new species Mustafa!
badflash
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by badflash »

I'll be eagerly awaiting an update to the Petshrimp Store!
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by zapisto »

badflash wrote:I'll be eagerly awaiting an update to the Petshrimp Store!
ho shoot
was thinking i was the only one :roll:
TKD
Shrimp Master
Shrimp Master

Post by TKD »

Neonshrimp wrote::shock: Wow, very nice new green shrimp :-D . Interesting how the young can be red. I take it they should be kept in alkaline water over the long run like the other indian shrimp? I hope to see them available soon :-D
I too would be interested in knowing the pH that they need.

Thanks,

TKD
ToddnBecka
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by ToddnBecka »

Sweet, another green Cardinia, this one with a faster growth/reproduction rate. That makes it a better subject for selective breeding to enhance the green coloration as well. :wink:
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Glad you guys like this shrimp almost as much as I do. ;) As some of you know I am moving to San Diego very, very soon (end of April) and it's not going to be an easy move. I will try to get at least some of these guys in other hobbyists hands before I move, though, as it would be a shame for my population to accidentally die off during the move. I'm trying my best to minimize all problems, but you never know. At this point I don't have enough breeders, yet, but since the last batch of young should reach adult size in a few weeks and I have a few ovigerous females again, I will distribute the next batch of young if they reach the right size before I move. Otherwise, it'll happen after I move and get settled.

As for ph, it's not that important. You should be able to keep these shrimp in your tap water, no matter where you are, just like red cherry shrimp. That seems to be the case for most, if not all, other species, by the way. I am going to get rid of the "water parameters" section in my shrimp species description shortly to avoid any confusion. My experience and research shows that factors other than ph are responsible for the majority of shrimp deaths and mishaps. Research is ongoing though and I will finally write an article about water parameters. In the meantime, don't worry too much about ph issues. Worry about other things, like overfeeding and not having a cycled tank, too many fast growing plants, using fertilizer, too many (and too large) water changes etc...etc...etc. The only thing I am worried about when I move to San Diego is cycling the new tanks...not the ph or hardness of the water there (both are a whole lot higher than in NYC). Bad or no cycle = dead shrimp.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Research is ongoing though and I will finally write an article about water parameters. In the meantime, don't worry too much about ph issues.
It will be great to see results of the research when you are finished :)
Worry about other things, like overfeeding and not having a cycled tank, too many fast growing plants, using fertilizer, too many (and too large) water changes etc...etc...etc.
Thanks for the reminder :!:
The only thing I am worried about when I move to San Diego is cycling the new tanks...not the ph or hardness of the water there (both are a whole lot higher than in NYC).
That's the case but the shrimp still seem to thrive here :-D
DatDamWuf
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by DatDamWuf »

Love the dark green shrimp!

Wow Mustafa, how are you going to do the transfer of your tanks from NYC to SD? I am curious as I am under the impression that you have a huge number of tanks, though I've never known how many or how large they are.

It seems a daunting task!
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Not moving the tanks, just the shrimp. I'm setting up everything completely new there. Moving tanks would cost more than actually buying new tanks.

I don't want to go off-topic, though. ;) Let's talk about these awesome green shrimp. I'll post some updates on these shrimp here once in a while. I'll also update their species description as more information (and pictures!) becomes available.
Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Post by Neonshrimp »

Let's talk about these awesome green shrimp. I'll post some updates on these shrimp here once in a while. I'll also update their species description as more information (and pictures!) becomes available.
:-D That sounds great, these green shrimp are the it topic now :-D !
Justin
Egg
Egg

Post by Justin »

What percentage (roughly) of the offspring are red? If it's a fairly even split, there could be something very interesting in the ontogeny that would be worth looking at.
Shrimp&Snails
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Shrimp&Snails »

Perhaps you know some shrimp or fish keepers in San Diego that would be willing to donate some "used" filter sponges to help cycle the tanks faster?