Any idea why my Yamatos died?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

tangyp
Egg
Egg

Any idea why my Yamatos died?

Post by tangyp »

Hello all.

I've just started a new 4 foot planted tank. It's been running for almost 2 weeks now. Yesterday, I added 5 Yamato shrimps. Before that, I tested for ammonium/ammonia and also copper. Both tested negative. My PH is about 6.8 - 7 and KH is about 4. Nitrite & Nitrate is also at a safe level. Tank temp is between 26 - 28 Celcius.

Less than 24 hours later, all the Yamatos have died. I am going crazy trying to figure out what killed them. Could it be too much CO2? My plants are already bubbling like crazy therefore it shouldn't be a problem with too little O2 in the water.

Would appreciate any comments on what else I should check on.

Thanks & regards!
amanda_h
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by amanda_h »

Were these the first livestock added to the tank?
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Any idea why my Yamatos died?

Post by Bradimus »

tangyp wrote:Before that, I tested for ammonium/ammonia and also copper. Both tested negative.
Not sure what this means. Do you mean that they registered 0ppm?
Nitrite & Nitrate is also at a safe level.
What were the values? For shrimp, the only safe nitrIte level is 0ppm.
Less than 24 hours later, all the Yamatos have died. I am going crazy trying to figure out what killed them.
What are the current NH3 and NO2 levels? If they are anything except 0ppm, they are your prime suspect?
Could it be too much CO2? My plants are already bubbling like crazy therefore it shouldn't be a problem with too little O2 in the water.
Given your pH and KH readings, you should have about 15ppm CO2. This should not present a problem to you shrimp. Have you tracked the pH over a 24 hour period? If it drops overnight, it may be an indication that the CO2 level climbed too high.

I will second Amanda's question: Were these the first livestock added to the tank?

That is, was the tank fully cycled either by placing other animals in the tank first (in which case two weeks is probably not enough time) or did you use a fishless cycle (in which case two weeks might enough time if the biological filter was seeded)?

Are you adding any ferts to the water for the plants?
What are you using for filtration?
tangyp
Egg
Egg

Post by tangyp »

amanda_h wrote:Were these the first livestock added to the tank?
Hello Amanda...sorry...been away for a few days.

No...I added in 2 Siamese Algae Eaters and 4 Otos at the same time I added the shrimps.
tangyp
Egg
Egg

Re: Any idea why my Yamatos died?

Post by tangyp »

Bradimus wrote:
tangyp wrote:Before that, I tested for ammonium/ammonia and also copper. Both tested negative.
Not sure what this means. Do you mean that they registered 0ppm?
Nitrite & Nitrate is also at a safe level.
What were the values? For shrimp, the only safe nitrIte level is 0ppm.
Less than 24 hours later, all the Yamatos have died. I am going crazy trying to figure out what killed them.
What are the current NH3 and NO2 levels? If they are anything except 0ppm, they are your prime suspect?
Could it be too much CO2? My plants are already bubbling like crazy therefore it shouldn't be a problem with too little O2 in the water.
Given your pH and KH readings, you should have about 15ppm CO2. This should not present a problem to you shrimp. Have you tracked the pH over a 24 hour period? If it drops overnight, it may be an indication that the CO2 level climbed too high.

I will second Amanda's question: Were these the first livestock added to the tank?

That is, was the tank fully cycled either by placing other animals in the tank first (in which case two weeks is probably not enough time) or did you use a fishless cycle (in which case two weeks might enough time if the biological filter was seeded)?

Are you adding any ferts to the water for the plants?
What are you using for filtration?
Hello Bradimus...thanks for your reply.

Yes, the ammonia/ammonium & copper registered 0. I found out the the nitrite/nitrate is non existent yet and that it takes typically a month for the cycle to complete. Yep...typical newbie...making the first mistake...very anxious to put in livestock. Oh well...will try again in a month or two.

Thanks for the feedback.

ps. Shrimps are way cool!!! ;-)