whats the purpose of....

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Shrimpmania
Shrimp
Shrimp

whats the purpose of....

Post by Shrimpmania »

As above... wats he purpose of putting oak leaves into a shrimp tank? Can any kind souls enlighten me? :lol:
Jackie
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: whats the purpose of....

Post by Jackie »

Shrimpmania wrote:As above... wats he purpose of putting oak leaves into a shrimp tank? Can any kind souls enlighten me? :lol:
Many shrimps like to eat them, others like to hide under them. Also, they lower the pH.
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Bradimus »

Also, many microbes feed on the decaying leaves. The shrimp, especially the young, feed on the microbes.

There is nothing really magical about oak leaves. They just have some nice qualities: non-toxic, slow to decay, and easy to find (at least in the US).
winwin
Larva
Larva

Post by winwin »

but wouldn't the 'lowered PH' causes the water acidic, and thus makes it hard for the shrimps to strengthen their shells after molting? :?
DanHagan
Larva
Larva

Post by DanHagan »

winwin wrote:but wouldn't the 'lowered PH' causes the water acidic, and thus makes it hard for the shrimps to strengthen their shells after molting? :?
Well, that all depends on what you ph is to start with! If you have a high ph the oak leaves are not going to make you water acidic. I personaly dont use any oak leaves. I just use live plants and feed micro food from time to time!
Shrimpmania
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Shrimpmania »

hmmm.. ok thanks guys... my PH is 8.6 .. Guess i will put some oak leaves