Preparing a new shrimp tank, questions about tank dimensions

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

jennesque
Egg
Egg

Preparing a new shrimp tank, questions about tank dimensions

Post by jennesque »

Hi everyone.. I have been searching for a while online today to see what sort of tank is appropriate for shrimp. I have a 10 gallon hex tank that I am thinking about setting up as a shrimp tank but I'm not sure if it would be a good option because it's so tall. I know I am very limited.on what fish could be kept in there since the tank's foot print is so small, but I don't know if shrimp require a large foot print, or if they'd like a tall tank if I had plenty of driftwood and plants for then to climb on.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Preparing a new shrimp tank, questions about tank dimens

Post by Mustafa »

Hi and welcome to the forum! A 10 gallon hex is fine as long as they have enough surface area on which to climb around and pick for food. If you want to use driftwood, make sure that the tannins are pretty much entirely leached out before putting it into your tank. Shrimp don't like excessive organics compounds (tannins = organic compound) in their water. Maybe some rocky landscape would work better. And if you are not too concerned about algae on some of the side walls, then you can let some of those sides get grown over by algae and shrimp will walk around there as if it were the bottom of your tank.