Do the shrimp eat the macro-algae?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Harry
Shrimp
Shrimp

Do the shrimp eat the macro-algae?

Post by Harry »

Do the shrimp actually eat the micro-algae or do they just eat the bioflm on the algae? I'm thinking the micro-algae just provides a lot of surface area for biofilm to grow.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Do the shrimp eat the micro-algae?

Post by KenCotigirl »

Good question. I think not but Mustafa said they eat algae. I am just not sure he ment macro algae.
shrimpy4
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Re: Do the shrimp eat the micro-algae?

Post by shrimpy4 »

I asked Mustafa this a little while ago; the shrimp don't eat the macroalgae itself but as you mention the biofilm, microalgae, and bacteria that grows on it. It also serves the purpose of helping to balance out chemical levels in the water. My shrimp spend a ton of time in the stuff, as evidenced by the inordinate amount of waste that gathers under the macroalgae compared to elsewhere in my bowl.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: Do the shrimp eat the macro-algae?

Post by Mustafa »

I changed the thread title a little to reflect that we are talking about "macroalgae", which is, I am sure, what Harry meant to say. In any case, the shrimp don't eat the macroalgae...unless, for some reason, your macroalgae die and melt away...which usually does not happen.
phlox
Egg
Egg

Post by phlox »

How much macroalgae is right for a half-gallon tank? I put in the whole clump I received from Mustafa, but it seems like a lot in such a small space... the water's a bit green since I did my transfer yesterday which I hope is good? Wondering if I should leave it all in there or pull some out.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Can you post a picture? There is really no right or wrong with macroalgae. The only thing you want to prevent is that there is so much macroalgal growth that it prevents algae and other biofilm to grow on the glass and other surfaces of the aquarium. Since the shrimp don't eat the macroalgae, they rely on the biofilm for nutrition in between feedings. What do you mean by "the water is a bit green?" If actual "green water" (i.e. motile unicellular green algae) is forming, then that means that you have excess nutrients in your tank. Don't do anything..just wait. The macroalgae and the biofilm will take care of the nutrients and the green water issue will resolve itself.
phlox
Egg
Egg

Post by phlox »

Thanks so much, Mustafa! I admit I worry about the little guys. They were super active when I first put them in, but now they like to hide under the shells at the back, and none of them have gone red again. I'm only seeing three at a time. Just want to make sure they're ok and everything is to their liking.

It's a half-gallon betta tank, and the black sand substrate came out of the middle section when I put the water in.

http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt19 ... 0b8ae8.jpg
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt19 ... 92c539.jpg
http://i611.photobucket.com/albums/tt19 ... 72f966.jpg
MelWong
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by MelWong »

phlox wrote:Thanks so much, Mustafa! I admit I worry about the little guys. They were super active when I first put them in, but now they like to hide under the shells at the back, and none of them have gone red again. I'm only seeing three at a time. Just want to make sure they're ok and everything is to their liking.
They hide a lot when they're in a new environment and then slowly pop out again when they're feeling more at home. Mine vanished for about ten days and then started poking their faces out of their hidey-hole again after that. As for the macro, I'm not Mustafa but I think you've got a decent amount.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

MelWong wrote: I'm not Mustafa but I think you've got a decent amount.
Affirmative on both counts. :)
phlox
Egg
Egg

Post by phlox »

Thanks y'all! They seem pretty happy now-- they're playing like little dolphins. Love it!