Lighting

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

BostonJill
Shrimp
Shrimp

Lighting

Post by BostonJill »

I just moved my tank to a bookshelf and will now need some new lighting. Can anyone recommend a light that would be strong enough to grow some algae in a four gallon tank? It would also be nice if the lighting had some blue lights along with the white lights too. I know LED is the way to go but has anyone out there had success with finding a light that is nice(white/blue lights) and is strong enough to grow some algae? The light I'm using in the picture is just not strong enough. You can message me privately if we're not allowed to mention companies, websites etc… on the board.
Sorry, it's been awhile since I have been on this board so I forgot what the rules are.
Attachments
tank2.jpg
tank2.jpg (164.16 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
Tank1.jpg
Tank1.jpg (145.06 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Lighting

Post by KenCotigirl »

BostonJill nice to hear from you again. Why not add a second light the same as the one you have. I like the diver on the rock. Make the shrimp look like Giants. The book shelf above the tank needs some support.

Ken
BostonJill
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by BostonJill »

Good idea Ken but do you think these lights are strong enough to grow algae? They seem kind of weak for that.
KenCotigirl
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by KenCotigirl »

Jill the shrimp are not eating the algae per se but the bacteria that grows on it. Mustafa's macro algae does not need bright light.
BostonJill
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by BostonJill »

So just trying to get this right.
So the shrimp eat the bacteria on the algae and I guess other parts of the tank such as the gravel, rocks, etc…
and the light doesn't play a part in the growth of the bacteria? Is that right?
What helps the bacteria grow?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Bacteria and algae and other types microorganisms all grow together in what's called a "biofilm" (look it up on google). Light is needed for some of these organisms and others don't need light. In general, you do want to provide good lighting so all the biofilm organisms can proliferate. Don't worry about what helps the bacteria or algae grow...the food that you throw in the tank provides the nutrients, the light provides an additional source of energy for the organisms that need it.