Ghost shrimp with eggs, now what?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

blenny
Larva
Larva

Post by blenny »

single female ghost shrimp with eggs?? no male?
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Ghost shrimp with eggs, now what?

Post by amber2461 »

Hi

I have a single female ghost shrimp with eggs, I can already see the eyes in the eggs.

Now, do I

a) Separate the female?
b) Prepare a breeding tank?
c) Help ... :smt102

I have an aged 2 gallon tank with nothing but java moss (some green some dead) in it. There is no filtration in this tank but it is heated.

Would this do for the young 'uns?

Cheers
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

blenny wrote:single female ghost shrimp with eggs?? no male?
Hi blenny

I have 13 ghostshrimps but only 1 berried female so far :-D
sprucansailor
Larva
Larva

Post by sprucansailor »

If you can, carefully put the momma shrimp in a tank by herself or, ideally, take all the inhabitants out of her tank and put THEM in another tank.

Once all the eggs hatch, remove momma and put her somewhere else and leave the Larva in the tank all by themselves. You will have to feed them very small food. It reccomended to put fish flakes in a baggie and just crush the heck out of them, and then feed the "fine" food to the babies.

While the larva are planktonic (Floating) they are pretty much immobile, and just float in the water looking like tiny shards of glass. I am not sure how much you should feed during this time, I would think alot.

After a few days, I dont remember how long exactly, the larva will turn into benthic shrimp (meaning minitures of th eparents) and start to graze the tank.

I am sure some more experienced people will be able to expand on my advice.

Branden
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

Thanks Branden for the advice. :D
Dolfan
Egg
Egg

Post by Dolfan »

I'm a brand new member with the same question. I have a pregnant ghost shrimp and I'm waiting for them to hatch. I have her quarantined in a large 32oz cup. I've read that as soon as they hatch to remove the mother and leave just the babies. How long until I can include them with the rest of the tank buddies, couple ghost shrimp and 4 guppies? There is a lot of places to hide. I also just added a sponge "prefilter" to my intake on the Penguin 125 which cleans the tank. I bought a biological filter sponge for a "Duetto" filter and cut a little hole in the middle of it, then shoved the intake screen into the hole. Seems to work nicely. This way the babies won't get sucked up. I hope this works, I would love to be able to breed these excellent cleaners. Now I have to drive an hour to get them. Any info or tips on how to improve their survival would be great. Everything I've read, seems like ghost shrimp are hard to breed. Other than the breeding they are easy to keep though and are really cool to watch.
Dolfan
Egg
Egg

Post by Dolfan »

Also...here are 2 really good websites that I found about ghost shrimp.

http://www.petfish.net/raising_ghost_shrimp.htm

http://www.seahorse.org/library/article ... rimp.shtml
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

Thanks for the links!
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

I now have 21 nauplii in my breeding net now!

Mom decided to drop them at 0200hrs this morning, I was up until 0330hrs trying to catch them out of the breeding net before getting her out of it as well.

Well, Mom is back into the tank and the nauplii are in the breeding net. Fed them baby brine shirmp this morning (fingers crossed that they find the food to their liking).

Will try to update daily.

Cheers