Why the cycling fuss !?

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Why the cycling fuss !?

Post by Ace »

Purchase a reputable cycle product and use it according to the directions. Most allow Instant addition of animals. Problem solved.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Why the cycling fuss !?

Post by Varanus »

Such products are not necessarily reliable, the good bacteria and such they claim to provide can potentially be dead for instance. In my research most recommend cycling the old-fashioned way, but that was years ago when I looked into it so perhaps things have changed.
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

Hmm...

Well to be honest, I have experience with just Fluval Cycle. I read reviews before making my selection. In Nanospere 9 I already had the water sitting for 20 days. However, I have another container that I just put soil into and the water and then just put 6 Blue Dream Velvet shrimp, Nerites and 21 fish. I literally just threw it all in there along with Cycle and it was free of issues. It was great.
Cakelake
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by Cakelake »

But even with the Fluval Cycle wouldn't you have to wait for algae growth before putting the shrimp in? Would macroalgae and an algaeball in the tank be enough food for them until more algae develops on the rest of the tank?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

Cakelake wrote:But even with the Fluval Cycle wouldn't you have to wait for algae growth before putting the shrimp in? Would macroalgae and an algaeball in the tank be enough food for them until more algae develops on the rest of the tank?
Lack of food isn't really a problem for supershrimp unless it lasts for a long time, and usually once a tank is at least a few days old there is enough biofilm (i.e. bacteria and such coating surfaces) to snack on even if there is no visible algae (and of course you supplement them with feedings every month or so).
JennyPenny
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by JennyPenny »

Like Varanus mentioned already, the cycling products are not reliable. I'm no expert on this subject, but bacteria will not survive in a bottle long term. Also, if the bottle had no expiration date, I think it does not have live bacteria in it. This has been discussed in other forums by people who know much more than I, so if you are interested, you might try googling.
Ace
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Ace »

I read unfaltering good reviews about API Quick Start. I think what is important is to look real well at reviews and look for something that works in both fresh and saltwater along with an expiration date.
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

i'm just gonna add... Dr. Tim's One and Only Live Nitrifying Bacteria,(http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/treat-aqu ... nia-levels) is in my opinion, the best stuff to add for tank cycling. It is usually stored refrigerated and should be kept cool. I used it in my second tank and in two weeks had significant signs of algae growing in my tank. I still waited longer before adding any thing living but... just saying, it's the stuff! :D

I have used API Quick Start and Prime before but wouldn't use anything but Dr. Tim's ever again...
minishrimps
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by minishrimps »

Cakelake wrote:Would macroalgae and an algaeball in the tank be enough food for them until more algae develops on the rest of the tank?
The shrimp don't actually feed on the macroalgae or the mossballs. They eat algae that grows on it's surface... there is likely enough algae growing on them when you get it from Mustafa to support them for a while... and, what Varanus said...