Free the Ecosphere shrimp w/ Fresh water?? Idk what I'm doing, help!!

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

kiwiness
Egg
Egg

Free the Ecosphere shrimp w/ Fresh water?? Idk what I'm doing, help!!

Post by kiwiness »

I bought an ecosphere for the purpose of freeing them. But I don't know how to begin, I did some research and many people say that they are super shrimps, so thats why I post in here to seek help, please help me.

I am seeking the easiest way to take care of them, no air pumps.
Can I transfer them to fresh water? I was thinking to keep the ecosphere water and mix with fresh water from pet store.
Another option is to take some saltwater from my dad's saltwater fish tank and mix with the ecosphere water.
Or I can mix saltwater with freshwater free style it since i dont understand the whole salt lvl or ph lvl. (sorry)
Or should i EVEN KEEP the ecosphere water?

Next, i will feed them fish flicks, put some water plants inside the tank to provide them oxygen.

I know all of that are not the most ideal way of caring them, but would it work? Would it be a better place for them to live than inside the ecosphere? If the answer is no, then I rather not open the ecosphere cos I really dont wanna kill them.

I also want to know why people say that algae inside the ecosphere is not enough food for them because I read somewhere that they dont need a lot of food.

Lastly, can i put a lid on the tank or no lid is better so they can have air? Oh and what kind of sand (gravel) do they want? Fine sand or thicker ones? Idk how marine life works...

The ecosphere is coming in this week.
http://target.scene7.com/is/image/Targe ... &fmt=pjpeg

Thank you thank you.
Last edited by kiwiness on Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Re: Free the Ecosphere shrimp w/ Fresh water?? Idk what I'm doing, help!!

Post by Varanus »

First, I know that you meant well and its too late to change things, but you should know that buying an ecosphere with the purpose of freeing the shrimp still in the end supports the business of people who put them in the ecospheres to begin with and should be discouraged.

Anyway, the following link tells you everything you need to know about keeping the shrimp: https://www.petshrimp.com/set-up-a-supe ... tructions/

As for some of your specific concerns:

1. They do best in brackish water, and I don't know if the salt from the ecosphere mixed with otherwise fresh water would be enough. It would depend partially on how big the tank is. Using the ecosphere water in the new tank should be fine though.

2. However they do well in a wide range of salinities, so mixing the saltwater tank water you mentioned with the distilled water this site recommends could work even if you don't understand how to measure salinity. So long as you get the salt level lower than normal seawater the shrimp should be better off than in the sphere.

3. On the issue of plants, you can't just put any plant in there as very few do well in brackish water. Supershrimp likewise need very little oxygen so so long as the top isn't airtight you should be fine even if you can't get them plants.

4. Sand is the most popular substrate but the shrimp themselves don't have preferences as far as I know, how fine it is doesn't really matter either.

5. A lid of some sort is best, again provided it is not airtight. It reduces evaporation as well as limits things like hair and excess dust getting into the tank.

6. They indeed don't need much food, but because the ecosphere is a closed system they do eventually run into problems as waste accumulates and gas exchanges can't occur between the water and the outside air. Further, this kind of closed system and tiny space causes the algae that does grow to lack in nutritional value, so the shrimp don't get what they need by eating it. Others may be able to explain this better than me though.
kiwiness
Egg
Egg

Post by kiwiness »

Ok got it, thank you so much for the detailed reply varanus!!

I bought the ecosphere from ebay, the seller only had one to sell, and it was sold at $35 instead of mkt price at $60 so I am guessing that the seller got it and didnt want it anymore. I thought if someone were to buy it, i would be the one to free the little guys. Hope this sound a bit better than getting it from retails :/

I have two more questions,
1. If i buy the algae ball from here, would it over fed them? The ball just sit in the tank like an all day buffet for them.

2. Is it ok to put a close lid on them for transportation purpose? It will only be temporary.

Thanks again, i really appreciate the help!!
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

1. They don't actually eat the moss ball or macroalgae itself but rather the bacteria and such that covers them. I don't think they can overeat either (overfeeding is more about leaving food to rot/decay and foul the water, which isn't an issue with the biofilm that the shrimp mainly eat).

2. A temporary lid is no problem, these guys have very low oxygen requirements (their main defense against predators is being able to retreat into water that most aquatic creatures would die in from lack of oxygen).
kiwiness
Egg
Egg

Post by kiwiness »

Got it, thank you so much. I will update my progress once i get them.
AnotherKevin
Larva
Larva

Post by AnotherKevin »

Yes, you should definitely keep the water they came in. It contains useful microbes and microscopic algae.

If you want more water, in order to put them in a bigger container, then you can make "brackish" water by mixing salt water and distilled or RO fresh water (50/50). However, after you mix this brackish water, you should let it sit somewhere well lit for a few weeks before it is safe for the shrimp, due to bacterial and chemical changes that need time to stabilize. Can you describe where your dad's salt water comes from? If it was originally treated tap water, then I would not use it. If it was originally RO water mixed with reef salt, or actual ocean water, then it should be fine.

Also, you don't need plants for oxygen. Oxygen in the air will diffuse down into the water, and they will be fine, and even microscopic algae produces oxygen. Most plants cannot survive the brackish water these shrimp live in, anyhow, and a rotting dead plant in the water will surely poison the shrimp.

Just keep it simple, similar to the ecosphere, but not airtight, and maybe drop in a mossball from this site. And do not feed them too often. Good luck!