questions about supplies

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

LittlePenny
Larva
Larva

questions about supplies

Post by LittlePenny »

Hi guys, I impulsively purchased an ecosphere in December 2017, and then started reading about it more...
I found this forum and have been lurking for a few months. I learned a lot and feel ready to start a small tank for my shrimp dudes. I started ordering supplies and have a few questions/ requests for recommendations:
1. Are any rocks ok to put in the tank (other than live rock of course). More specifically- I was looking at Seiryu and Ryuoh Stones or other landscaping stones. I don’t want the rocks to affect the water chemistry.
2. Would you recommend testing the water after the tank cycled for a while and has visible algae (before introducing the shrimp)? If so, I am confused about the test kits out there. Some only test nitrite and nitrates but not amonia, and the there seem to be mixed reviews about the kits that you dip in the water. Freshwater or saltwater?
3. Are there any plants that can live in brackish water (other than algae and Marimo)?
4. I am going to set up a .8 gallon jar and for now only keep my 4 little shrimpies from the eco sphere (in hope that they reproduce). Would there be too much algae for them to handle? Should I get a few snails to help out?
Thanks guys. Can’t wait to finish ordering all the gear needed to get my jar going. Promise to update with photos. Thanks :D
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Re: questions about supplies

Post by i<3Opae »

Hi there! First I wanted to say you didn't impulsively buy an ecosphere, because no one can resist the charm of opae ula! A lot of people started with ecospheres, including me. They look happy and cute in those bubbles/bottles until you read about the harm of ecosphere. But it's so much fun to put together a permanent home for them, minus the waiting part, of course. This is a great active forum for opae, it's got so much good information. I strongly encourage you to read the instructions on PetShrimp.com. Mustafa (who owns PetShrimp) has put a step-by-step article out there (https://www.petshrimp.com/set-up-a-supe ... tructions/).

Okay, now onto your questions:

1. Are any rocks ok to put in the tank (other than live rock of course). More specifically- I was looking at Seiryu and Ryuoh Stones or other landscaping stones. I don’t want the rocks to affect the water chemistry.
Yes. Lol I had to google those rocks. You're right, as long as they're not "live" they'd be okay. Those are very cool looking, they'll make a great center piece in your tank!

2. Would you recommend testing the water after the tank cycled for a while and has visible algae (before introducing the shrimp)? If so, I am confused about the test kits out there. Some only test nitrite and nitrates but not amonia, and the there seem to be mixed reviews about the kits that you dip in the water. Freshwater or saltwater?
Short answer is algae = fine to add shrimp. The test kit is nice to have, but not essential. I purchased one (API Saltwater) when I set up my first tank as a newbie to the hobby. I regularly tested the water but didn't gain too much insight into the cycling stage. Mustafa advocates for the "algae method", and people have used it on this forum with success. If you have to get one, don't use the dip test strips. They're less accurate. Again, you don't really need it, although it might make waiting a little less boring.

3. Are there any plants that can live in brackish water (other than algae and Marimo)?
Mmm, I'd say this is my personal opinion: not really, and don't bother. Some people may have had success growing plants in brackish water, but it's few and far between. It's not worth the mess it creates down the road.

4. I am going to set up a .8 gallon jar and for now only keep my 4 little shrimpies from the eco sphere (in hope that they reproduce). Would there be too much algae for them to handle? Should I get a few snails to help out?
Not immediately needed. If you see excess algae growth outpacing shrimp's need for food later, sure! Snails are fun to watch and beneficial to the tank. You can add them after algae appears.

Please post photos! :mrgreen:
LittlePenny
Larva
Larva

Post by LittlePenny »

Thank you so much for your response i<3Opae! I feel better about my Ecosphere, and knowing that that's how many Opea Ula enthusiasts got started. I'm determined to do right by these little guys!

I think I will start with the basics and take it from there. It is good to know that the water test kits are not essential.

Do you know if snails ever becomes an issue? (in terms of over-reproducing). I had a bad experience with a Malaysian Trumpet Snail in my freshwater tank when I was a young teen, years ago. It became a pest and the numbers were out of control. I had to get rid of my substrate and sterilize the tank and start over. Do you know if snails reproduce at the same rate in brackish water? what snails would you recommend?

I will post photos as soon an I set up and start cycling my new tank. :D
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

You're so welcome and I'm glad I can answer your questions. I've heard of MTS becoming more of an issue in fresh water tanks, but I haven't seen complaints about them in opae ula tanks. The brackish water and low nutrients due to lack of plants might have something to do with it. I have Pipipi snails (for 6 months) and Mustafa's brackish water adapted MTS (just recently added), they haven't reproduced yet. Pipipi is a nerite (N. Picea), they like to scrape algae off of the glass and don't go into the substrate. Since Pipipi is on the smaller side (< half an inch) compared to fresh water nerites, they don't produce much waste. Brackish MTS, as you are familiar with it already, goes into the substrate (important) as well as cleans the glass a bit.
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

LittlePenny wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:48 pmDo you know if snails ever becomes an issue? (in terms of over-reproducing). I had a bad experience with a Malaysian Trumpet Snail in my freshwater tank when I was a young teen, years ago. It became a pest and the numbers were out of control. I had to get rid of my substrate and sterilize the tank and start over. Do you know if snails reproduce at the same rate in brackish water? what snails would you recommend.
The reproduction of the snails is tied to food supply, and since supershrimp set ups thrive on having very little feeding and spartan conditions, and the snails are outcompeted by the shrimp, snail overpopulation shouldn't be a problem. They will reproduce, but not in vast numbers and the babies will grow slowly.
LittlePenny
Larva
Larva

Post by LittlePenny »

Thank you for the info Varanus! :D
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

I like the rocks you picked, and they should be fine! I would skip the test kit -- if you follow the Mustafa Method™ that i<3Opae linked above (and can resist fiddling with your setup, which is really the hardest part!) everything should go well :)

One thing I did, on the recommendation of Mustafa and others here, was add some of Mustafa's snails right after the dust had cleared in my tank setup. The snails and the water they ship with contain beneficial bacteria that will help your tank cycle without adding a huge bioload. Mustafa says the snails are tough and have no problem hanging out for a few days while waiting for enough biofilm to munch on. Plus, they give you something to look at while you wait for your tank to be ready for shrimp.

My snails reproduce steadily, but I've never had them overpopulate. They seem to self-regulate according to conditions and food supply, as Varanus said. I don't think you will ever find you have too many snails.

Good luck! Post some pics along the way as you get things set up :D
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

Hi there Super Jess :smt006 Been wanting to thank you for your previous post on your MTS (awesome pics you took btw). I was researching how soon you could put them in a new tank, and your post was a great reference.
Super Jess
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by Super Jess »

Hooray! Glad my snails' adventure could help a fellow opae keeper :)
LittlePenny
Larva
Larva

Post by LittlePenny »

Thank you for the info Super Jess! :D
LittlePenny
Larva
Larva

Post by LittlePenny »

Ok, all supplies needed for the initial setup have arrived and I finally set up my new tank to start cycling.
Substrate: natural sand
Hardscape: Ryuoh Stones
Salinity: 1.011

Yet to be added:
crushed coral
Snails
Macro algae

Oh yeah, and shrimps :lol:
Attachments
0C658942-294A-44EA-9080-877BC3009D8A.jpeg
LittlePenny
Larva
Larva

Post by LittlePenny »

So, I didn't really think this jar through... and while the wooden lid was the selling point... wood+water= warp (and potentially mold) :cry:
The lid started warping and cracking a little (even though there is no contact between the water and the lid).
I ordered another jar (just for the lid) and am going to drill a few holes in it to allow evaporation (which I didn't do on the current one). I was also thinking I should protect the wood somehow. I did some reading online and found other forums where people used polyurethane to seal their wooden aquarium hood. Since I will be drilling a few holes in the new lid, I don't anticipate condensation collecting on the lid and dripping back in.
Do you guys know if that would be ok? Is polyurethane safe? maybe the holes alone + getting rid of the plastic ring that makes it air tight would be enough?

I appreciate your thoughts and comments! :D
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

I don't know about the poly, but certainly removing the ring so it's not airtight would be good no matter what.

I too have my shrimps in jars. I currently have corks on top of them, but I leave them a bit askew so oxygen exchange can happen. So far, I haven't had any issues.
LittlePenny
Larva
Larva

Post by LittlePenny »

Thank you SuperProofer! :D I’ll be sure to remove the plastic seal and leave the new lid askew. I may drill a few holes too. I’ll stay away from polyurethane for now, unless I hear from someone here that they have used it and it’s safe. Otherwise, It’s not worth the risk.
Thanks again :)
Nellyville41
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Nellyville41 »

LittlePenny wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:00 pm Thank you SuperProofer! :D I’ll be sure to remove the plastic seal and leave the new lid askew. I may drill a few holes too. I’ll stay away from polyurethane for now, unless I hear from someone here that they have used it and it’s safe. Otherwise, It’s not worth the risk.
Thanks again :)
Personally I would use cork. You can find them in various sizes in most craft stores. Easy to drill holes and even add an LED attachment to it.