questions about supplies

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

LittlePenny
Larva
Larva

Re: questions about supplies

Post by LittlePenny »

Nellyville41 that’s a great idea. I looked up videos on how to fashion my own lid out of cork sheets, and it’s seems super easy. Thank you :D
EasyAndy
Egg
Egg

Post by EasyAndy »

Littlepenny,

You can also buy corks in standard mason jar sizes from amazon, it says the size in US standard measurements in the description section of the add. I did the exact same thing for my tank in this thread. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6280&sid=e7dce6736 ... c529cfba79 Drilling is super simple and you can add LED tea lights.
LittlePenny
Larva
Larva

Post by LittlePenny »

Thanks EasyAndy! I really like how your jar turned out. It looks so great and unique! I like the idea of adding a tea light to the lid. The opening for my jar is 6.25", and still no luck finding a pre fab one that will work, but I found an online jar store, so fingers crossed. :D
LittlePenny
Larva
Larva

Post by LittlePenny »

Hey guys, here is a quick update: the tank has been cycling for 17 days now. Yesterday I finally added 1 snail (MTS). Got it from a friend (who has a fresh water tank) and acclimated it slowly for 2 weeks to brackish water. Shortly after the introduction to the tank it burrowed in the sand and hasn’t come out. I hope it’s still alive.
I think I might have some biofilm, but seems too fast?
I haven’t added the sea shells yet. Should I make sure to add those and let the tank cycle a little longer before adding the shrimps from the ecosphere?
Attachments
84C8ED49-177E-4FBA-9CE3-E7302C71D146.jpeg
FF610A7C-ADF9-48FC-A843-4DD2B085397B.jpeg
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

You could add the shells at any time, as long as it’s cleaned. And that’s definitely a biofilm. :D
i<3Opae
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by i<3Opae »

I wasn’t clear on your question of when to add shrimp...Shrimp can be added when the tank is cycled, the sea shells can be added anytime.
LittlePenny
Larva
Larva

Post by LittlePenny »

Thanks i<3Opae :D
Yeah, the questions was whether I should add the sea shells, continue to let the tank cycle a little longer and only then add the shrimps.
That's great news!!! Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly :mrgreen:
LittlePenny
Larva
Larva

Post by LittlePenny »

UPDATE: the shrimps have been freed from the ecosphere 4 days ago. They seem happy and more red.
The setup is very simple: 0.8 gallon jar, sand, rocks (with a place to hide), brackish water (1.011), a MTS (who has gone MIA since joining the tank), some water+ few small sea shells from the ecosphere. No artificial lighting (other than the room’s ceiling light), no food added. I tried to stick to Mustafa’s method and keep things simple. Hopefully the shrimps are happy and thrive.

Here they are enjoying the fancy rocks I bought them :lol:
Attachments
264334CA-C712-4D62-8FC9-68DCD6FBE5D4.jpeg
FE3D6717-A24B-4A08-843C-F0452D8F4E1E.jpeg
A3AAC8ED-CEF6-4B69-A96B-474F8482DB64.jpeg
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Thanks for the update! The only problem with having only 4 shrimp is that you may be unlucky and end up with all males or females. That's more unlikely with higher numbers.
LittlePenny
Larva
Larva

Post by LittlePenny »

Thank you for your response Mustafa! Yes, I have thought about it too, and with my luck I probably do have 4 of the same sex :smt005
I will place an order for more shrimps sooner rather than later :D
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

You're welcome! :-)
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

i<3Opae wrote: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:11 pm You could add the shells at any time, as long as it’s cleaned. And that’s definitely a biofilm. :D
Can I add shells that I found at the beach? I used to live South Carolina and I have many shells from my childhood there. Would pet store shells be better?
SuperProofer
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by SuperProofer »

Beach shells are fine as long as you make sure they are cleaned of any old organic material that can decay in your water.
Flippers
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Flippers »

SuperProofer wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 6:03 pm Beach shells are fine as long as you make sure they are cleaned of any old organic material that can decay in your water.
Awesome. I think that natural shells will look amazing in my setup! :)
LittlePenny
Larva
Larva

Post by LittlePenny »

Update: this afternoon the snail who has been presumed dead emerged! :-D the last time I saw it, was on March 17th, the day I added it to the tank!
Honestly, I was beginning to worry that my shrimp don’t have enough to eat and have been debating feeding a tiny tiny amount for the first time. Do you guys know if the fact that the snail made this appearance after being in the sand for such a long time, is related to the amount of food (or lack of) in the tank?
Thank you in advance :D
Attachments
8C28CF3F-1DE9-4D01-A22A-941D1AFC2EB5.jpeg
DF158D78-DCE4-4BE9-9240-DCAA444F4291.jpeg