Red nose tankmate

A forum for discussing everything about the Supershrimp (Halocaridina rubra, Opae ula).

Moderator: Mustafa

newqq
Egg
Egg

Red nose tankmate

Post by newqq »

Anyone had experience keeping red nose shrimp with opae ula? My LFS recently got red nose shrimp and im hoping it will help with hair algae but im not sure it will be safe for opae ula floaters.

Cheers
Dch48
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Red nose tankmate

Post by Dch48 »

Information on them says they can cohabit with Opae's but they need more space and need a filtered tank. I had never heard of them before. One site says you can have 2 per gallon of water while you can have nearly 50 Opae's in a gallon container.
newqq
Egg
Egg

Post by newqq »

My tank is a 7 gallon cube with about 100 opaes in it. What you do think? Should i get 1 red nose to take care of the hair algae?
Varanus
Senior Shrimp Master
Senior Shrimp Master

Post by Varanus »

If hair algae is taking over the tank then it's likely a symptom of another issue (i.e. excess nutrients), and one new shrimp probably won't solve that. Better to remove the hair algae manually and cease feeding until other algae can increase enough to outcompete it.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Varanus is right. Also, red nose shrimp do not eat hair algae at all, and they are not used to low nutrient environments, so, over time they will just starve to death. In terms of salinity, they can definitely hang in there though.