Cherries eating babies?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

JaVaGiRl
<b>BANNED</b>

Cherries eating babies?

Post by JaVaGiRl »

I just read on several different websites that cherries eat there babies... I haven't heard this before, is this true ? Oh, and Mustafa told me cherries do not require aquarium salt, so I stopped putting it in. But again on the same websites I have read they do require some salt. Of course I took Mustafas word on this, cause well duh, he has experience :lol:
chlorophyll
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by chlorophyll »

Personally, I think those things tell you that those websites should never be visited or read seriously again. :?
JaVaGiRl
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by JaVaGiRl »

Well one of the websites was some dictionary, and the other was from some sort of science thing. So again, I dunno.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Re: .

Post by Mustafa »

JaVaGiRl wrote:Well one of the websites was some dictionary, and the other was from some sort of science thing. So again, I dunno.
That of course is a very accurate and succint description of those websites (i.e. "some dictionary" "science thing"). :-D

Whatever they are...they are wrong. Please do everyone a favor and post the links to those websites so people know where *NOT* to go for information about shrimp.
Keder
Egg
Egg

Post by Keder »

I just don't see a shrimp catching and killing anything, that can move.
Veneer
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Veneer »

Keder wrote:I just don't see a shrimp catching and killing anything, that can move.
Actually, of the species available to the typical aquarist, many Macrobrachium spp. - and, if one is to believe certain aquarist reports, the Amano/Yamato shrimp, Caridina japonica - are more than capable of consuming a broad range of aquatic fauna. Indeed, I have read a Floridian account detailing how a large Macrobrachium carcinus was observed dispatching a water snake.
csmike
Larva
Larva

Post by csmike »

From my observation, my tigers never pray on their babies. I never see any aggression whatsoever. I cannot see why the cherries would do that. :?
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Veneer wrote: Actually, of the species available to the typical aquarist, many Macrobrachium spp. - and, if one is to believe certain aquarist reports, the Amano/Yamato shrimp, Caridina japonica - are more than capable of consuming a broad range of aquatic fauna.
--Macrobrachium shrimp have specific claws to hold on to things, which the Atyid shrimp (such as all the algae eating shrimp) do not have. So, no wonder that Macrobrachium shrimp can hunt down live animals.

As to C. japonica....I just don't believe it. I have never seen it and considering that their claws are built the exact same way as e.g. Red Cherry shrimp claws, i.e. they have little brushes to brush up microorganisms/algae and microfoods, they are not even capable of holding on to anything that is alive and healthy.

Lots of people see their shrimp consume freshly deceased animals, such as other shrimp, and erroneously think that their shrimp are carnivores.

Indeed, I have read a Floridian account detailing how a large Macrobrachium carcinus was observed dispatching a water snake.
Possible...considering how large M. carcinus can get I can imagine that a very small watersnake could fall prey to it.
JaVaGiRl
<b>BANNED</b>

Post by JaVaGiRl »

This is one of the websites ::
http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Bug,%20 ... Shrimp.htm
This is a "fact" sheet on Red Cherry Shrimp

I have to search more for the other links, but this one states that the babies may be eaten and that they require salt.
tapmxt1
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by tapmxt1 »

I did not see the author said "the parents eat babies". Did I miss anything? Here is the clip of the breeding section:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Breeding: Haven’t had ours long enough to breed them. Should take care of itself in a well planted predator-free aquarium. Predators on the bite-size babies include nearly anything that moves. Don’t trust the parents either. Get out your hot glue gun and build a little breeding cage out of nylon net – the stuff they use to make tutus flouncier or scrub your back in the shower.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
the author had stated "Haven't had ours long enough to breed them"...

My suggestion is: if everyone who have bred these shrimps tells you "they do not eat babies"...

EXACTLY what's your point to refer this webpage made by someone who had not bred them ?? :!:
Solaris
Larva
Larva

Post by Solaris »

Don’t trust the parents either
right there dude hehe. But it is funny he has never bred them but has comments and precuations for them already, good job i guess.
JaVaGiRl
<b>BANNED</b>

wow

Post by JaVaGiRl »

WOW, you coppied and pasted it, then you said you didn't see where it said that. LMAO thats funny. :roll:

And DON'T be so IGNORANT ! Mustafa said for me to post the link to the website so I did.
tapmxt1
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by tapmxt1 »

Did it say they (large cherry red shrimps) will eat the babies? I did not see it. Please quote the sentence...

Why don't you just belive what Mustafa (who breeds all these nice shrimps including cherry reds) already told you.
tapmxt1
Tiny Shrimp
Tiny Shrimp

Post by tapmxt1 »

Well, another thought.

This article is written by someone who had NOT bred cherry red shrimps. His word means nothing and worths nothing at all.

I have hundreds of cherry red shrimps now. And I just want to repeat what Mustafa and many others had already said: cherry red shrimps do not hunt their babies.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

She won't be able to reply to you. She has been banned for *repeatedly* violating forum rules and ignoring my warnings ever since she joined the forum in April. I can't even count the posts from her that I had to delete because they were inappropriate. Posting links to her own commercial website selling invertebrates (under wrong or imaginary, or misleading names such as "Rare Red Crayfish" for a Procambarus clarkii, The Red Swamp crayfish, which is the most common and widely distributed crayfish species in the world) was the last straw. I had repeatedly asked her not to ask for or offer animals for sale in this forum..in vain. Some people never learn....

Anyway, no more!! :roll:

Mustafa