Question...

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

candice
Egg
Egg

Question...

Post by candice »

Are discus and shrimp a viable combination? My boyfriend is considering turning his planted tank into a shrimp tank. He currently has a black ghost knife which he knows will have to go. He also has a leopard ctenopoma, clown plecos, a whiptail pleco and a few golden rams.

What fish would be able to stay, which will have to go?

Thanks in advance.
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Question...

Post by Bradimus »

candice wrote:leopard ctenopoma
Ctenopoma acoutirostre? He will clean your tank of shrimp as fast as you can add them. But at least you would get to see his interesting hunting behavior.
clown plecos
Peckoltia? Might take shrimp if they are hungry.
a whiptail pleco

Hemiloricaria? Good old fashioned omnivores.
and a few golden rams
They will, at least, eat the baby shrimp
candice
Egg
Egg

Post by candice »

Ok, so all will have to go. Do discus and shrimp do ok together? My gut feeling is no, but hey, I have no experience with them, so best to ask no?
csmike
Larva
Larva

Post by csmike »

It is all depends on the personality of the discus. Discus like others such as angels may/will eat shrimps; however, I saw discus that showed no interest even shrimps swam right across its mouth.
candice
Egg
Egg

Post by candice »

Hiya Mike! Thanks for the reply. I'll send my bf the info. He's quite keen on trying the shrimp thing and then eventually adding discus.

How're your cherry shrimp doing? Mine have grown about 3 times the size since I got them and 3 are definitely a pretty red now with golden yellow saddle areas. I found 5 males as well. I'm hoping the other 2 are just hiding somewhere. It's hard to see them with all of the grass, moss, plants etc.
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

Hi Candice

Nice to have you onboard here and nice to know that your Cherries are doing so well. They must love it in your tank.

Cheers :-D
candice
Egg
Egg

Post by candice »

Thanks Marge!

Yes, they're loving life in the planted tank and are quite the active little things.

How're you doing?
amber2461
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by amber2461 »

Hi Candice

Happy to know they love their bigger tank .. :-D

I am well, thanks for asking; and yourself?
csmike
Larva
Larva

Post by csmike »

candice wrote:Hiya Mike! Thanks for the reply. I'll send my bf the info. He's quite keen on trying the shrimp thing and then eventually adding discus.

How're your cherry shrimp doing? Mine have grown about 3 times the size since I got them and 3 are definitely a pretty red now with golden yellow saddle areas. I found 5 males as well. I'm hoping the other 2 are just hiding somewhere. It's hard to see them with all of the grass, moss, plants etc.
You're welcome. Mines are ok. Like yours getting yellow saddle. Hopefully they are soon big enough to breed.

Cheers