Tankmates for Cherries

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Yuri
Egg
Egg

Tankmates for Cherries

Post by Yuri »

Alright, I'm really considering ordering some cherry shrimp for my tank within the next few months but I don't want them just to become a snack!
At the moment I have neon tetras, a dwarf gourami, albino cory cats, and two mollies. Sometime in the future I'm possibly planning to add some ottos and harlequin rasboras depending on my nitrates. I've been looking around and all these guys should be fine with the shrimp, right?

I also have a few questions and confirmations on care so try to bear with me!
My tank doesn't really have an algae problem so algae wafers fed every two to three days with veggies for variety should be fine, correct?

Also, the pH of my water is 6.9 to 7.0 so I'm sort of worried about their shells. Should I buffer the water a slight bit to help with molting and making sure their shells don't dissolve? I have some cuttlebone I could place in the filter for calcium like was mentioned somewhere on here I believe.

And, out of curiosity, what's the chance of them breeding? With such a short life-span that would definitely be kinda nice. Are there certain things, from experience, that you've noticed that will help this out? I have some slate wood and there's malaysian coming Friday for hidey-comfort. There's also big clump of java moss that only the cory cats like to burrow through as well as other plants. I'll also put some sponge over the filter intake. Is there anything else I should be aware of? I have a five gallon I could use too if I had to but I'd really like to try letting them breed in my main tank (29).

In another thread and the article it mentioned as a guideline smaller (15% or 20%) water changes could be done every week while larger (40% or something) could be done bi-weekly. If the temperature is the same and I'm using dechlor (Prime will be here Friday!) is it still alright to do 30% water changes weekly or will it cause too much stress or something?

Thanks everyone, I just want to be sure about stuff like this before I end up with dead and missing shrimp on my hands. :lol: And any other advice you can think of I definitely won’t mind!
Yuri
Bradimus
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Re: Tankmates for Cherries

Post by Bradimus »

Yuri wrote:Alright, I'm really considering ordering some cherry shrimp for my tank within the next few months but I don't want them just to become a snack!
At the moment I have neon tetras, a dwarf gourami, albino cory cats, and two mollies. Sometime in the future I'm possibly planning to add some ottos and harlequin rasboras depending on my nitrates. I've been looking around and all these guys should be fine with the shrimp, right?
Opinions and experiences differ. I would expect the gourami to harass, if not eat, your shrimp. I would expect the cories to take the shrimp as well, but some people have had success with this combo. The ottos should be fine.

My tank doesn't really have an algae problem so algae wafers fed every two to three days with veggies for variety should be fine, correct?
That is fine, as is regular flake fish food.
Also, the pH of my water is 6.9 to 7.0 so I'm sort of worried about their shells. Should I buffer the water a slight bit to help with molting and making sure their shells don't dissolve?
Not an issue. Freshwater shrimp get their calcium and carbonates from the food they eat. They do not absorb it from the water.
And, out of curiosity, what's the chance of them breeding?
Very high.
Are there certain things, from experience, that you've noticed that will help this out?
All you need is
  1. Males
  2. Females
  3. Food
It is also helpful if the fry do not have to worry about being eaten.

In another thread and the article it mentioned as a guideline smaller (15% or 20%) water changes could be done every week while larger (40% or something) could be done bi-weekly. If the temperature is the same and I'm using dechlor (Prime will be here Friday!) is it still alright to do 30% water changes weekly or will it cause too much stress or something?
[heresy]
I am the wrong person to ask this since I do not believe in water changes
[/heresy]
Shanna
Larva
Larva

Post by Shanna »

When I had Amanos in my community tank the Gouramis didn't bother them, but the Anglefish would bite their legs off. They'd end up at the bottom of the tank, helpless and dying.

Gouramis have a reputation for being semi-aggresive, but in my experience (which means nothing, really) this isn't true. I say give it a shot but if they start getting eaten, PLEASE remove the rest..... be humane.
Yuri
Egg
Egg

Post by Yuri »

My dwarf is tame enough where I really can't imagine him even bothering the shrimp. I just needed some confirmation and ideas of who I should watch.
If it's a problem though, no worries, they'll be logging into the five gallon for a while. Hey, it'll probably turn out to be an excuse to get another tank set-up! :-D

Thanks for the help.