Malaya Larvae

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

Neonshrimp
Master Shrimp Nut
Master Shrimp Nut

Re: Malaya Larvae

Post by Neonshrimp »

Good to hear, 6 X 50 = about 300 new babies soon :-D Please keep us updated about the progress in the 65.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Awesome news! :) The 65 gallon will be perfect! The margin of error that might wipe out a colony is soooo much lower in such a large tank than in a 10 gallon. Thanks for helping to keep this species around in the hobby. :smt023
southerndesert
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic

Post by southerndesert »

Wow thanks for the thumbs up Mustafa,

I feel like I have almost passed my freshman year!

I also still have the 20l going strong and I am guessing by fall I will have more than my share of these great shrimp.

I am really wanting to get my hands on some Sri Lanka in the near future as well...

Here is a photo of the 65G

Cheers, Bill
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

southerndesert wrote:Wow thanks for the thumbs up Mustafa,

I feel like I have almost passed my freshman year!
You've been a good student for sure. :wink:

I am really wanting to get my hands on some Sri Lanka in the near future as well...
Another underrepresented and rare species. The sad thing is that, similar to the Malaya shrimp, the Sri Lanka dwarf shrimp has almost disappeared from the hobby (even in Germany) as people are chasing the "latest and greatest" shrimp on the block. Another thumbs up for wanting to propagate this species. I'm sure a nice breeding population of these guys will arrive at your doorstep by the end of this year ;).
wskurdahl
Larva
Larva

Post by wskurdahl »

I have some sri lankas in with my blue pearls, seen several berried females but so far haven't seen any young. They may be hard to distinguish from the blue pearls when they are so small. I am sure we can work out a trade or something once I get them going :). They are a cool little species and nice since they don't interbreed with most of the species people keep now (do they interbreed with any?)
Guba
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Guba »

I'm always on the lookout for new shrimp species.
The sad thing is that, similar to the Malaya shrimp, the Sri Lanka dwarf shrimp has almost disappeared from the hobby (even in Germany) as people are chasing the "latest and greatest" shrimp on the block.
It's hard to aquire new species when no ones offering. I've kept my eye out for a male fuzzy claw, but no one sells them.
Mustafa
Founder
Founder

Post by Mustafa »

Guba wrote: It's hard to aquire new species when no ones offering. I've kept my eye out for a male fuzzy claw, but no one sells them.
What's your point? I offered plenty of them in the past (hundreds and hundreds) and there still aren't any colonies that reproduce regularly to spread this species. When the Sri Lanka dwarves were introduced to Germany everyone wanted to have them....but most people managed to kill off their populations and move on to the next "new" shrimp. Now you can barely find them, if at all. THAT's the point. I'm talking about the attitude of many people not whether a shrimp is available right now or not. The reason why many species of shrimp (and fish!) are not available all that often anymore is because of the general attitude prevelant in the aquarium hobby.
Guba
Shrimp
Shrimp

Post by Guba »

I guess my point is that it's frustrating to keep wild caught speicies. If it's new, your on a learning curve. And I definately did the curve! Whats ironic is that I've changed my fishroom water change regime to accomodate fuzzy claws, but now I can't find any.
I offered plenty of them in the past (hundreds and hundreds)
Sorry, I just discovered aquabid last spring (07) and it must have been at the end of the offerings.I don't know the life span of a fuzzy claw, but I'm under pressure to find a male. I'm all for keeping wild caught over selective bred, MOST DEFINATELY!
I'm talking about the attitude of many people not whether a shrimp is available right now or not. The reason why many species of shrimp (and fish!) are not available all that often anymore is because of the general attitude prevelant in the aquarium hobby.
In some ways the shrimp hobby has turned into a cichlid type enviroment. I recently saw some shrimp from lake tanganyica for sale at some outrageus price. I wanted them because they were "undomesticated", but the price! The learning curve was too expensive. By the way. Since this thread inspired me to try and breed ghost shrimp, I might as well add that from the first and only berried female that I purchased, I still have 4 shrimplets(?) All of the adults turned milky and died. Bill, keep up the good work! :smt005