Hello and help please - who's eating my shrimp?

This is an archived forum with lots of information. However, new posts are not allowed at this point.

Moderator: Mustafa

tjt
Egg
Egg
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 5:46 pm

Hello and help please - who's eating my shrimp?

Post by tjt »

Hi all, new to fishkeeping (3 months) my tank has been stable and I had a small colony of 9 cherry shrimp. They were usually out and active during daylight hours and happily grazing in my tank. All was good for about a month.

All the shrimp are hiding now. two days ago I found one dead. Today one of them is missing several legs and I'm freaking out....up until now I thought it may have been a chemical problem of one sort or another...I'm doing pretty well, but I don't have a ton of experience...now I'm suspecting I have a killer fish but I'm not sure who to blame.

All of the fish I selected are supposed to be peaceful community fish, but now I'm lost. any advice would be most appreciated! Thanks!

Fish Population:
4 swordtails (1.5 inches w/o tail)
4 Bumblebee gobies (1 inch)
12 celestial pearl danios (1/2 inch) - sometimes called Galaxy Rasboras
3 five banded barbs
1 lizard loach

Tank info:
26 gallon planted tank
ammonia/nitrite/nitrate all zeroed and stable
PH 7.8
Temperature 78 degrees
tjttank.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
zapisto
Shrimpoholic
Shrimpoholic
Posts: 487
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:51 pm
Location: Montréal, (Qc), Canada

Re: Hello and help please - who's eating my shrimp?

Post by zapisto »

any of you other animal in this tank can have your cherry as a snack.

i recommend you read this articles , and specially point number 11
http://www.petshrimp.com/articles/faq.php
Mustafa
Founder
Founder
Posts: 6092
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 2:13 pm
Location: San Diego, CA, USA

Re: Hello and help please - who's eating my shrimp?

Post by Mustafa »

If your lizard loach is Nemacheilus rueppelli, also called a "mongoose loach", then it's the most likely culprit. Inverts are their natural food.
alexbullen
Egg
Egg
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon May 31, 2010 2:19 am

Re: Hello and help please - who's eating my shrimp?

Post by alexbullen »

the bumblebee gobies won't be doing them any favours either...